1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Releasing my pheasants?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by optimistique1, Jun 8, 2016.

1. optimistique1

optimistique1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi All

I have two old English black necks that are approximately 4 weeks old. These are my first pheasants ever that I have reared and I need some advice?

I originally got them as I wanted to try my hand at something new and different so I thought I would get a couple of young chicks to see how I get on with them.

In terms of rearing them and them growing nicely and being healthy it has all gone well. The only issue I have is that I cannot seem to get them friendly at all which is one of the reasons for getting them in the first place. I don't expect them to be as tame as chickens for example but I cannot get even close to one of them..

I think that I have one male and one female and the smaller one (female) is just so nervous and gets into a complete panic as soon as I approach. Whereas the larger one (the male) is a lot more chilled out bu then gets very nervous because of the other one.....

This seems to have got more severe the old that they get. As soon as I put my hand in to put fresh food/water the smaller bird is all over the place no matter how quiet and relaxed I am. You would think they would get used to me by now but it seems quite the opposite.

I was just wondering if releasing them into the wild might be the best options and if so what is the best age for this?

Or, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you put branches in their pen,they can hide from you when you approach them and it should keep them calmer.They are hi strung birds naturally so as far as taming,you will need to spend many hours with them.If you want tame pheasants you may want to try goldens or Amherst.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I agree, the more hidden they feel the calmer they will be, I have a few low growing conifers in a couple of my pens and the birds love the cover and don't get so nervous as they used to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by