Releasing rehabbed ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kathysue, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    does anyone have experience in releasing orphaned, rehabbed wild ducks? Have had them since they were a week old and they are now ready to go out on their own.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How, exactly, did you raise them? Unfortunately, it is not as simple as releasing them and they will know how to be wild and will be successful - in fact, if they have not been carefully managed during the time they were in human care they will likely succumb fairly quickly if released.

3. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    They have never been handled except when they were tiny and needed a bath. They are outside in a run now and really want nothing to do with me. They have been outside for about 3 weeks - we are in the country so they are hearing lots of sounds. We have a lot of waterfowl up here.

4. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome. Does anyone out there ever have whistling ducks? I rehab them and release when they can fly. I have been feeding them waterfowl diet along w/ organic mixed baby greens and freeze dried worms. I want them to prepare for the outside world- is there anything else I should be giving them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by