1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reliable Broody Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by country freedom, Jun 24, 2008.

1. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]. Would like to hear of your experiences! [​IMG]

I am looking for reliable broody hens (clean legged only)- Does anyone have breeds that are reliable broodies?

I don't care if the hens are "untouchables" (skittish/flighty).

I am part perfectionist/part forgetful - I just don't want to do the incubator (me forgeting), or relying on juice from the city (blackouts) - if any eggs were NOT to hatch, I'd feel at fault, get my meaning?

I read in McMurray's catalog that Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rocks, Buff and White Orpingtons are very good broodies.

I also read on this forum that Fayoumis, Phoenixes are very good also.

Any luck with Norwegian Jaerhons, Cream Brabanters, Spitzhaubens as being broody?

Next spring I will be ordering "the best broody breeds" that I can be told about, and these banties:

Dutch, Moderns, Nankins, Old English, Seramas.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Ah shoot! You went and said clean legged. hehe Can't tell you those as I don't know! If you decide to come to the "dark side" let me know. ;-)

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Silver Sebrights are bantam, and clean legged. They are good broody hens.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Our buff orpington and araucana are great moms and stubborn broodies. [​IMG] I just moved 6 araucana hens to the roost again tonight, who insist they must hatch babies. [​IMG]

Jody

5. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    take a look at my sig line every thing listed spends more time broody than not. esp the dutch and silkies.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies, of course! Mine go broody all the time. I have three and theres literally always at least one thats broody! Last month all three of them were for several weeks, without any eggs under them!

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use to be adverse to the feather legs but now that I have them, they are super. Not so much the white ones, as they are always more brown, black or orange, depending on where they dust bathe. But the feather legs are so cool. Lots of personality and good mamas and papas.
    And you can't beat a Silkie or a Cochin for a broody hen. Although I am willing to give my Buff Orps a good try.
    Like Asher says, come to the dark side![​IMG]

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have OEGB banties who are broody. They are , in my experience, very independant birds, and great moms. the only problem I have with mine is "where " they decide to stach their eggs to go broody. (in a box in the rafters, on a pile of hay, etc.....)

Oh, and they are clean legged

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm with miss_thenorth on the OEGBs. They're exceptional broodies.

I have three broody Delawares right now, and all have done a great job hatching and brooding. The broody in my avatar is one of them. Delaware broodiness depends on strain, though.

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    My brother swears by speckled sussex,but I have 3 hens and they have not gone broody. My marans(cuckoo) are killing me. I've had 6 pure breed and 3 mixed breed go broody this year. At present there are 3 pure breed and 2 mixed on eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by