Reliable Hatcheries? /:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MuggyMug, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MuggyMug

MuggyMug New Egg

Jan 19, 2011
    I will be a first timer on raising chicks, and live in a residential area. Luckily my moms letting me order chicks in the spring :)
    I just wanted opinions on Hatcheries that are reliable on healthy chicks and so on.
    & Also I was only looking for 3 to 5 hens.

Please and Thank You [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

So glad you found us. You came to the right place

If you are only getting 3 to 5, I would suggest either a local feed store or MyPetChicken.

GOOD LUCK and congrats on getting chickens!

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
  4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    welcome

I agree that with that low of a number i would go with feed store chicks (they could probably tag an order for you on or get whatever breeds you wanted) or go to a sale or show or look around on here...one of has to be fairly close

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    MyPetChicken.com is great at sexing and shipping small numbers but the shipping is expensive. About $30 for small orders because they use the fastest method possible.

Feed stores are not nearly as expensive but you could run into problems; The biggest one I noticed is that they will buy an 'assortment' pack and you don't really know what breed you're getting. You can make an educated guess but...

6. MuggyMug

MuggyMug New Egg

Jan 19, 2011
    So glad I found the site. Would be at a loss if i hadnt, and also glad everyones super nice lol
    Thank you :)

7. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    your local farm store would be the cheapest but may not have them until April/May due to Easter being later (at least, ours are ordering for around then - ugh). So we ordered from Meyer and Cackle. Cackle has a 5 chick minimum, and Meyer has a 3 chick min. My Pet Chicken also seems great, my mom ordered from them. Good luck!

8. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    My personal favorite Hatchery is Murray McMurray!! This will be my second order from them and have had no problems with my new arrivals!

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:We have one feed store that is getting chicks in February (I placed an order [​IMG] ) and the other ones like Big R and AgriFeed are getting chicks in March. It varies a lot by area, the only way to know is to ask.

Also, getting onto craigslist and searching 'chickens' or 'chicks' could get you some nice results. It's how I found the store that's getting chicks in February.

10. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    You can order as little as 3 chicks with mypetchicken. Ive personally never tried them. I use Ideal and have been satisfied with every single order. You do not have a minimum number of chick you have to buy as long as your total comes out to 25 dollars. Just a warning they add males for warmth. I had one order where I had males included for comfort the rest held their own. I sold the males very quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by