Reliable thermometer/hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Im wondering, how important is it to invest in a good one? I have 3 different ones in the bator right now, and they all read different. Is there any way to calibrate one or all of them? Or should I invest in a good already calibrated one- and if so, where would I find a reliable brand?

2. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    bump [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One actually made for the job like the Spot Check by Brinsea (GQF calls it the Egg Temp) is best. It reads temp as it changes in tenths and is very accurate. You dont leave it in, but do "spot checks" with the probe. Any hygrometer will do if you calibrate it with wet salt and see how much it's off by.

Psst, bumping is against the rules. [​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I just bought three at Wally-World last month for only $6.50 each in the hardware dept. I put all three in one of our incubators to see if they would read the same and they do! I had two much more expensive models and they never read the same. Maybe I just got lucky, but it's working out good so far.

I checked the three cheap ones against the two higher end ones and they matched the one I paid $45.00 for. I've got two incubators going with them now, I'll have to see how the hatch goes.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mississippifarmboy, you sure did get lucky with the Walmart ones. The first three I bought were like yours, I put them together to check for accuracy and they were spot on. I hybridize house plants so I don't need critical accuracy . In all I now have 12 of the same unit, the thermometer parts are pretty accurate but the humidity is all over the board. Some are 10% off in humidity from the original 3 good ones . I have had to return so many that were even farther off that I cringe when I need to buy another.

I would like to get a couple more to put on new plant light stand units- but when I think of standing in a long line(going noplace fast) at Wally world to return them I back down. It's too darn bad they don't have them functioning in the store, so you could just pick the ones with the closest results. I know they are made in china but, you'd think if a some could be accurate why can't most of them be that way?

I could see that ones headed for an incubator would have to be calibrated with the salt method that has been described on here previously. I'm too lazy to do it with my plants but I sure would with chicks.

Probably most users on here got the Springfield ones from Wally, since those are readily available. I did try a more expensive one from Meijers and it was horrible. Many years ago I got a non-mechanical Airguide one from Indoor Gardening supply(Dexter,MI) and it has been great but, I don't see that type for sale anymore. Maybe tho a garden supply place is a good place to look for hygrometers, I would imagine the buyers expect great accuracy as many grow quite expensive plants with fussy temp/humidity requirements.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I went to PetSmart and bought a Fluker's Hygrometer, a little round analog jobbie that I put inside the small incubator I used. Cost about 7 bucks. Found it in the "reptile" section.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I use two I bought from Walmart, one Springfield and one Acurite. I use the both in my Brinsea Eco20 at the same time. I like the Acurite better, it has a larger read out for humidity. I shoot of humidity between the two readings, usually they are quite close. I always use new batteries. At lockdown for more room, I use only the Acurite since it is easier to read. My hatch rates have been very good so far.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have 7 from walmart and 4 from GQF and all ar maybe 1degree off. I love my walmart ones with the humidity

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:I've noticed that most items when they first come out they are great, then when they restock the same item the quality goes to pot. Our local Walmart just started selling them, so I guess I got lucky for real. I had checked some time ago after I read about them on another thread here, was told then that they didn't carry them. Just found these while looking for something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by