1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Relocating coon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Vickir73, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I was told I have relocate a coon 20 miles away or it will come back. Does any know If this is true?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont know about the distance however, you may NOT relocate them, just SSS!

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Relocate it below ground.

4. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Why can the poster NOT relocate them? They are everywhere dependant on where you live, I prefer to relocate if possible as well. I'm not a fan of killing the wildlife that was here before I was if it can be avoided.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Yes, I was told by a wildlife expert that you must take them at least 20 miles from where you trapped them, or they will come right back.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you relocate, you are putting the problems on someone else that does not want them. They probably would end up killing them as well.

7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think in most area you have to get permission to relocate a wild animal. The best place for them would be a nature preserve or state park, but I'm not sure you'd be allowed to do that.

8. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Couldnt relocate them include relocation into the woods away from homes and businesses? Where they can continue to be WILD animals?? How does this equate to making them someone elses problems?

9. deeps

deeps Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    get permission to relocate LOL

just trap it and drive it 20 miles then let it go on the side of the road if your afraid to kill it. Once they learn to look for food in a consistent place (like a chicken coop or a trash can) they will always look for those things, so your just passing the burden to someone else.

10. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:Agreed.

Someone relocated one to my neighborhood a few years ago. There were some serious issues caused and it knew better than to go into a trap again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by