Relocating Muscovy Ducks in S. Fl.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vigi, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Vigi

Vigi New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    South Florida
    HI everyone! I'm new here and am hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for a safe place to relocate 20 Muscovy ducks. I live in South Florida. Someone has been poisoning our duck population in my neighborhood as they have been dwindling and I've found large black garbage bags with dead ducks in them laying by the street. It's absolutely awful. Needless to say some ducks have found their way to may yard. I've kept them for as long as I can but I think i need to relocate them to a safe place because the other day i caught my neighbor shooting at them! i was so upset. Called the police and everything but since these ducks aren't protected there wasn't much they could do. I'm desperate to find a safe place for them. Does anyone know of a location?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Vigi, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but really sorry about the situation. I just don't understand some people! I see in your other posts you've discovered the FL and Ducks Forums. Here's another that might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing
    Hope you find them good homes. Best wishes and thank you for being a friend to the ducks!!! [​IMG]

3. Vigi

Vigi New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    South Florida
    Thank you RedSoxs! Yes, i just don't understand some people. Thank you for the link provided i will take a look at it. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll find a good home for them. Wish i can keep them though! :) They all have such great personalities! Well, thanks again! Sending you some good ole Florida sunshine! :)

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'll take the sunshine! Heavy rains in the forecast for my neck of the woods! Hey - have you contacted animal control? I have heard in large municipalities they don't do much when it comes to things like poultry that is being abused - only dogs, cats, horses, etc. I don't know if that's true or not but I would think the authorities should look into whoever is poisoning those poor ducks!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Whatever is poisoning the ducks may kill other wildlife or pets. Is it possible your town is trying to eliminate them? I think your best bet would be to go to the local newspaper and see if they will cover the story.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Vigi [​IMG] Welcome!

That is so very sad [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

So sorry to hear what those poor ducks are going through. Have you posted about them on your state thread? Here's a link to it if you need it: Florida

If I still lived in FL, I'd gladly take a few and there may be others close by you that could help them.

Best of luck!

8. Vigi

Vigi New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    South Florida
    Hi Teila! Thank you for the link. I did post on one of the Florida forums but perhaps I shouldd also post in other Florida forums. I will see which other would be good. A friend of mine moved to Australia and she loves it! Wish I could move as well! One day i will visit. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! Sending you sunshine from Florida! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by