Relocating to Magnolia, NJ in Camden County

PicALittleCheep

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Hi All!

We had 5 lovely ladies in Iowa and had to sell them to relocate to New Jersey. I'd like to start a flock up again, but I haven't been able to find ANYTHING online on chickens in the Borough of Magnolia or Camden County. Do any of you live in this area? I don't want to call the town hall and tip them off if there just isn't anything at all on the books. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC and New Jersey!

I think I would just call the borough and ask. You don't have to give your last name, just keep it to a "I wanted to know what the law/rules are for poultry. Let them know what zone you are in or give your street name and ask what zone that is.

Other choice is to look online and see if they have a zoning map. The zoning map will tell you what you are zoned- residential, agricultural, etc. Then you go to your townships code and look up what it says for your zoning designation.

For instance we have 3 acres, are zoned residentail but also for agricultural uses and it refers you to another section. So, you go to that section and it specifies poultry, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, etc. I have a 50 ft setback for any type of animal shelter, to include coops that don't require a permit.

I live in Magnolia, and am interested in doing this as well, but I found this ordinance
6.95-18.
- Keeping of certain animals prohibited.

The keeping of the following animals anywhere in the borough is prohibited: swine, cattle, horses, donkeys, mules, ponies, goats, sheep or any other livestock, singly or in any number; chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, pigeons or any other fowl, singly or in any number; and other animals determined by the nuisance/health inspector with the advice and consent of the mayor and council. The keeping of any other animal of whatever species is to be prohibited when, in the judgment of the board of health, it is found that a public health nuisance is being maintained by the continued keeping of such animal.

There is a note that there was an amendment in 2000 but link to the amendment, so I sent the township an email asking to clarify.
I will post here there answer.

I have two ducks and am currently fighting the township of Magnolia to keep them. The prosecutor and police chief told me as long as I had a note signed by all the surrounding neighbors giving their OK and they were properly caged (we've built them a fenced in pen inside our fenced in back yard) then they had no problem. I go to court in 2 days to face a judge so wish me luck!!!

I live in Magnolia also. I was thinking about taking my issue regarding having chickens to the town council. How did you make out in court? In your opinion, how open do you think they are regarding changing the current poultry ordinance?

Back
Top Bottom