Reluctant Chicken Lady in NH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zshepherd, Apr 5, 2018.

1. zshepherd

zshepherd Chirping

Apr 5, 2018
    NH
    Hello all,
    Recently, we purchased a cute little house with some land and an existing coop. I told my husband the chicken thing was all his. I had Bantams as a kid and thought I had no desire to revisit it. After he made an impulse purchase at TSC of 10, 2 day old BSL pullets in Feb, I am beginning to see the obsession and unfortunately, the chicken math.

I spend way too much time researching and reading here on BYC. The information provided is great. All the chicks are doing well at 5 weeks. They are in their coop now and seem content. Although, I do now wonder if they are BSL chicks at all and if they are all pullets. Ah well, the wondering is fun.

You have a lovely community here and I look forward to learning so much more.

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome to the chicken nut house. I hope you enjoy your time trapped in here with the rest of us :lol:. I think with BSL you should be able to tell about their sex by the lack, hopefully, of a spot on the head. Anyway, have a great time with them and your new abode, I hope you will all be very happy!!!:frow

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post pictures of your flock. BSL pullets as you probably know should be black with varying amounts of 'gold' feathers. Cockerels will be barred.

4. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :welcomeGreat to have you in the flock! Good luck with your chicks :thumbsup

5. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Enjoy and Welcome to Backyard Chickens maybe post photo's of the coop hope for lots of Hardware cloth

6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

7. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

8. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

9. zshepherd

zshepherd Chirping

Apr 5, 2018
    NH
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. No spots on their heads so that's a good start! The coop is in a state of rehab but safer, I think. Removed the rotted wood floor and added wire mesh with dirt/gravel mix on top, then lots of shaving. Covered all the windows and vents with the wire mesh on the inside as well. The uncovered run, we took down and will be rebuilding that for predator proofing this weekend. 3218 1.JPG
    Four day olds 3218 9.JPG
    Four days old DSC_0128.JPG
    5 weeks 4/03/18 DSC_0129.JPG
    5 weeks DSC_0132.JPG
    5 weeks DSC_0136.JPG

5 weeks DSC_0119.JPG

5 weeks DSC_0134.JPG

5 weeks DSC_0135.JPG 5 weeks

I will get individual pics eventually, yet right now, I am just beginning to be able to tell them apart a tad.

007Sean, FrankieDoodle and Quik1th like this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under zshepherd :frowWelcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

Your babies are beautiful! If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of them, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

If you post some pics on this forum you will get opinions on gender:
    Breed or Gender Forum

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: