Remaining eggs under broody- how long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whimsical Farming Wife, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    I placed a clutch of 6 Columbia/Barred Rock eggs under my little broody Silkie. Much to my delight, on day 22 a little chick appeared! Now we are on day 23 and I am wondering how long I should leave the remaining eggs in the nest, and how likely it is that they may be late hatchers. The mama hasn't got up out of the nest since the hatch (as far as I can tell)- so I am concerned that she won't do so until the other eggs have hatched or are removed.
    For now I am going to get the new chick drinking and eating, and leave the eggs under mama.
    Any thoughts?
    By the way- can anyone tell me how to post a photo from my computer?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't have any broody Silkie yet but from everything I read on here I think the mama knows if the eggs are good. So I would wait until day 25. Can you get an egg out and candle it?

Now on to how to post pictures, go up to the top of the page and you will see the blue line, it starts with Index then User list. Go to uploads and when the page come up you will see a little box and on top of the box it says, File to the right of the box it says browse. Click on Browse and find where your pics are. Mine are in pictures Click open the file with the picture you want. Your pictures should be in a box. Now click on the picture and click open. This will put put the picture in the box where the file and Browse buttons are. If it is click on submit and it will download it for you. Boy I hope you understand it.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't have any broody Silkie yet but from everything I read on here I think the mama knows if the eggs are good. So I would wait until day 25. Can you get an egg out and candle it?

Now on to how to post pictures, go up to the top of the page and you will see the blue line, it starts with Index then User list. Go to uploads and when the page come up you will see a little box and on top of the box it says, File to the right of the box it says browse. Click on Browse and find where your pics are. Mine are in pictures Click open the file with the picture you want. Your pictures should be in a box. Now click on the picture and click open. This will put put the picture in the box where the file and Browse buttons are. If it is click on submit and it will download it for you. Boy I hope you understand it.

4. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I hope I did this right... if not- sorry- I'll try again!

5. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    [​IMG]
    ... and another one of the little cutie sitting on his surrogate mama:)
    I guess I could give candling a try, but I am very reluctant to do much of anything with the eggs for risk of upsetting the natural state! Both mama & babe got up for a drink and food, and settled down nicely. I have my fingers crossed for more hatching, but I don't hear any peeping or tapping.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh- and thank you so much for your help!! Could someone please let me know if the photos are up... I can see them, but I want to be sure that they have been added right.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, i can see the pics very good, the baby is so cute and the momma is very thickly feathered.

and i agree with ginbart, i heard many people wait till 25th.

good luck [​IMG]

8. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx! That sounds reasonable~ I will probably candle and then dispose of the remaining eggs tomorrow evening (day 25). I don't think I'll be able to crack them to see what really happened inside... I'm a bit of a chicken;)

9. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Pictures look great. They are a bit large though. Just click the RESIZE button before submitting and they pictures will be a bit smaller and easier to look at on the post [​IMG]

I just went through the same thing with my bantam GLW hen. She was sitting on eggs for what seemed like forever. I didn't know if any of them were actually fertilized because my roo disapeared about a week after she went broody. I waited for about 3 weeks and candled them. I wasn't able to tell anything by doing so and thought it would be best to toss them. But, I was REALLY hoping that my roo had been able to get the job done before leaving us (RIP Ricky), so I decided to mark them and put them back in the nest. Then, last weekend I went in for a routine clean up and heard peeping and was shocked that they had actually hatched! There is no other excitment in the world as when you walk in to find baby chicks with their mom. [​IMG] It's so beautiful! I would wait until 30 days just to make sure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by