Rembering Big Momma

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenPeep, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    This easter, we got 9 chickens. 2 of those turned out to be meat birds. We lost one early on to an illness sadly, and the other one (Big Momma) made it untill yesterday.

She was so miserable in this heat, i had never seen a chicken pant so hard. all the other chickens, exceps two, ignored her and were a little mean to her. the two nice ones are Dublin (speckled sussex) and Pebbles ( Red sex link). Our chickens live in a dog pen attachced to another larger dog pin connected by a door. Every now and then we would open the door and let the chickens go and explore in the other pen! Everyone went, except big momma. She would stay in the pen and sit and pant and drink, and accaisoanally, Dublin would come in and check on her. [​IMG] Pebbles did too, but not as much. Whenever Big Momma took a dust bath, her buddies would be right there with her. I never really knew that chickens could have realtionships! Whenever Big Momma was picked up, Dublin would come over to make sure you were bieng good to her. Sometimes the big alpha rooster (wesley) would peck at her, and either dublin would come over and check on her, or she would come running to me!She was always missing feathers from the other chickens pecking her, and had brown splotches on her back. We didnt know what the splotches were, or where they came from, untill we came at night and saw that she sat under the other chickens, unable to get up onto the roost. She was so miserable and i feel so bad.

Yesterday, we got back from a 2 day trip, and my sister who hadnt seen the chickens for a week, insisted on going to see them right when we got back at 9:30. When we got there, I saw Big Momma laying under the cage, wich i thought was unusial. As i got closer, I saw that her wing and foot were spread out, and i immedianley knew.She's in a better place now though, a place without any suffering. I feel really bad though, we had been planning to bring her inside untill it cooled off outside. We should have done it sooner. She was so sweet, and i know that she is getting what she wants now. However for Dublin and Pebbles,, they actually seem sad. We buried her in my favorite hideout, a cool place surrounded by pine trees and grass. She will be missed by my family, Pebbles, and Dublin. Rest in peace Big momma, your safe now.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are some pictures

Dublin
    [​IMG]

Pebbles
    [​IMG]

Big Momma
    [​IMG]

You can see Dublin's head to the far left in the background. She was always with her Big Momma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG] I had a hen named Big Momma, and she died 2 days ago. She died from the heat. I feel so sorry for both "Big Mommas."

3. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I also have a Big Momma!! A black Silkie.

4. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

I think the name Big Mama is reserved for very special hens. I call my BO Big Mama, too, even though technically her name is Buttercup.

5. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Really sorry, that is so sad, I think it's really off what man has created in a lot of animals. I have a meat hen Big bird) plus about 300 other fowl free ranging on 45 acres. She is about 7 months old and has just started laying!! She lays an egg on the verandah couch every day. Every feeding time she would be the first to start eating and the last to stop eating, sometimes it would be dark and she would still be out at the feeders, I was concerned for her as she just kept getting bigger and her legs were starting to go, then she started laying and this seems to have reduced her weight and taken the strain off her legs, meat birds have really sweeet natures.
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes they do, im just so sad that she had to silently suffer. [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Big Momma seems to be a very common name!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by