Remedies for cocci??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfinatic14, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    I have five 6 week old chicks and a 3 month old hen all with cocci. I am waiting on my Corrid to arrive in the mail. I may not get it for a few days which worries me a bit. They all seem to be hanging in there eating and drinking. I have been giving alot of red pepper to them, apple cider vinagar and medicated feed. I heard to give them plain yogurt as a probiotic. I was wondering if there are any other things to feed them that will help with cocci in any way. I need my Corrid!!

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Can you find anything else locally? Sulmet is good stuff too. I had the same problem with not being able to find Corid- but that couple of days wait to find it did irreparable damage to my bird's innards, and she did not survive. It is so frustrating to know what you need, and not have local access. You might try powdered milk mixed into the yogurt, I've been told it coats the intestines and helps a little bit.

3. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    I could actually get sulmet locally, but I've read that it is tough stuff. And I don't know how that would work out with young birds. Maybe im wrong?? Is it better just to use sulmet right away??

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I don't know, it saved three of my four (three or four week old Silkies) and they didn't have any issues after it's use. I'd use that first- waiting is what killed the one I did lose. I wish I'd have gotten the Sulmet into her faster than I did. If that is all you can get right now, I'd jump on it. It could very likely be the difference between my outcome, and a much happier one. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Cocci is a killer and does a lot of damage in a short time. Although it is usually recommended to use the Corid first, in your case, you don't have time to lose. Get them started on the Sulmet asap OR get sulfadimethoxine, which comes in a powder form and is said to be easier on them. Sulmet is dosed for 6 days, 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for the first 2 days, then 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for the additional 4 days. I've never had a problem with sulmet and it does work.

6. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Yes!! My Corrid Is arriving this afternoon. What is the dosage for 6 week old chucks. I imagine its the same for all.

7. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    If you are getting the liquid Corid 9%, the dosage is 2 tsp. per gallon of water mixed fresh daily for 5 days. Hope they do better for you:)

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    I used corid medication and 4 the chicks recovered:/, but I unfortunately my little slw, lilly passed this morning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].... I blame myself for letting them outside in a pen on the ground. [​IMG] I thought they could use some fresh air, a dust bath, and some scratching around. [​IMG] Those darn cocci. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by