remember me? I had the cold, washed, unincubated eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michinrepose, May 24, 2010.

1. michinrepose

michinrepose New Egg

May 10, 2010
    I hope some of you remember my post from a week+ ago. I had moved my hen's nest (she had been setting for just over 2 weeks, but other hens had "added" their own eggs to her stash), and she refused to re-boot after the move. After over three hours of cooling, I finally decided to take the eggs and try to incubate them myself. I HAD to wash them too, as the hen had pooped all over them, then I mis-read the instructions on the incubator and set the temp for 80 degrees instead of 100 degrees and they endured that for approx 24 hours. By the time I posted I knew it was a lost cause, but I really wanted to HEAR THAT so that I could feel confident about getting rid of the eggs. Well no one gave me encouragement about them hatching, but I didn't receive the "oh, you can toss them out" that I was looking for either, so I kept them in the incubator and corrected the temperature. And I prayed.
    The chicks began hatching a few days ago, I have seven as of now, they are my miracle chicks and I plan to name them all Ben, (just wrote a song called "a chicken named Ben" and so it seems fitting. Hatching out these eggs seemed hopeless, but here they are all the same. I hope this story will help someone who's having trouble making a decision about whether or not to bother with their bunch of questionable eggs.
    I know it wasn't the incubator, it certainly wasn't my handling or any kind of consistency as there was none...........it must, it HAD to be the prayer, and so I want to give God the glory, hope He likes the name "Ben".
    God bless you all, your chickens too!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    What a sweet little miracle. Actually all life is a miracle and scientifically speaking, the odds are against it ever happening! WOW!
    Thanks for posting.
    Caroline

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Congrats! It's amazing how much those little guys can survive!

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome!! I'm so glad to hear that. I am constantly amazed at what eggs can endure and still hatch. I love Dave Holderread's story from when he was a kid and found a clutch of eggs at the park--under water! That he took home and hatched--and one of those was his very favorite duck as a child.

Glad your babies are hatching. That's wonderful!

5. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    That was beautiful thanks for sharing and the encouragement for the rest of us.[​IMG] Congratulations and keep the faith:clap:jumpy!

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Thank you Lord.... [​IMG]

7. Trog

Trog Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Bloomer
    Good to hear such a story when I am waiting for mine to hatch. Tomorrow is the last day I think to hope for. I'm going into day 23. Everything text book, just no chicks hatching. Congratulations! You've given me hope for one more day.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:I had 4 hatch on the 25th day, so hand in there just a little longer.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Trog, My last two hatches didn't even begin pipping until day 24, and I have them still hatching today on day 25. Maybe it is the heat and humidity slowing them down or something? I don't know, I am just glad they are getting out of their shells.

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    yay! You are giving me hope, my 5 eggs got chilled last night and I really want them to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by