Remember me (Update on post 6!) Silkie x EE! Gender?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kellykate, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok I have a couple newbie questions ...
    1) This chick had an EE mom and a white Silkie dad. Does that make her a EE or just a true blue mutt? No worries I am happy either way!!

2) Also I have posted on her before due to her funky green feet and beak -- now as she is getting older I was wondering if you can tell what kind of comb she has.

3) If it safe to assume she will be all white? Since the feathers that are coming in are white and smooth not like a silkies (I know silkie feathering is recessive)

4) Finally any idea on gender?? Is it too early to tell - she is 3-4 weeks old

Ok *lots* of questions!! Thanks in advance for your help![​IMG]

Frida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    no idea-just wanted to tell you he/she is beautiful!!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    looks like a silkie comb to me, I just love seeing her she is so unique!!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

pea x walnut

5. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Quote:Ha thanks she is quite a pretty mix. I am still a huge fan of her silly dark green feet and beak!
    Anyone have any ideas about gender? Since it is a silkie mix should I expect it to be looong time before I can determine gender? What about egg color -- she was said to have hatched from a bright blue egg although I saw the possible 'moms' and they definitely weren't true Ameraucanas? Will she (saying it is a she!) lay green eggs like an EE? Thanks again!

6. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Moved the gender question over to the Breed and Gender section! Thanks for the comb help!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:A true walnut comb already has the pea comb gene. I would say that more than half the silkies I see have true walnut combs, fewer and fewer are just the modified rose combs.

8. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

gosh, I dunno. Definintely not a "expert opinion" but it gives ma a cockeral vibe.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    SHE is still so pretty!--I really think its a girl-I have 3 silkies at 16 weeks old and their waddles and combs are huge! congrats

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    He is a boy with a true walnut comb [​IMG] Those legs are slate, not willow/green and the beak colour is called horn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by