Remember my dropped fertile egg??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickfever, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Well, I left it in my bator until this morning. When I woke up and turned the other eggs, I noticed that the dropped one was seeping yellow. So, I took it out. When my hubby got home, he wanted to open it. He did and there was a small chick inside [​IMG] Its little vessels were still pumping blood [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I took it out for fear of it causing the others to get an infection....now I'm not so sure that was a good idea and maybe he/she would have made it....what do you think??

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think taking him out was a good idea. If it was leaking yolk, I don't think it would have made it, even if it was pumping along today. You can crack a fertile egg open into a dish, cover it was saran wrap, incubate it, and have it even start to grow feathers, but it will never make it all the way. Don't beat yourself up over it. You have others waiting to hatch!

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I'm sorry but it was probably for the best.
    [​IMG]

jackie

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Oh no! So sorry.[​IMG]

5. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I am so sorry! What a bummer!

6. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I hope my others hatch....

We candled last night and some looked like they might have something, others didn't. Some eggs were so dark the light barely shone through. Others I could see very little darkness. I think I may have seen an eye in one....not really sure. I don't have the best candler so I really need a new one....

Today makes day 10 & 11 for my eggs....they are brown....should I see movement? Blobs? Vessels? Should I wait a few more days before I check again?

7. ...You can crack a fertile egg open into a dish, cover it was saran wrap, incubate it, and have it even start to grow feathers,...

Ewww, I didn't know that.

Lisa
    Aiken, SC​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by