Remember my ducks with the prolapsed vents? I have a question about their recovery. *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Feb 22, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you remember these before and after pictures of Cafe's prolapse? She was the worst out of my two Saxony girls with prolapses. She is doing great but today I noticed this black thing on her bottom, and thought it was stuck poo. It turns out that it is dead skin. When I was pushing her vent back in during her prolapse I was also pushing the dead skin back in, too. You can see what I am talking about in the picture. So, I am wondering what I should do for it. She doesn't have a prolapse, it is more like a scab. It is on the top half of her vent. She can still poo without any problems, as it is not blocking the opening. Will it just eventually fall off like a scab would? Should I put any ointment on it? I just don't know. Other than that Cafe is doing well. She is eating, laying eggs, and just enjoying the longer days. Give me your advise my BYC friends.

2. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I'd leave it. If it's a scab, why open it up to possible infection? It'll fall off on its own.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I make a comfrey salve that helps heal skin. If you can find some comfrey, you can crush it, soak it in warm olive oil overnight, drain the oil off and dab the vent with the oil two or three times a day. If you don't want to be that folksy, you can swab it with triple antibiotic ointment. That will help lubricate the skin as it heals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by