1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Remember my slow-feather-growing "mystery" chick? PIC added!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by welovechickens, Apr 15, 2009.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well, we're pretty sure this chick is a ROOSTER! I don't understand why the feathers are still growing in so slowly, but I think HE is definitely a he. Body is large and very dense and heavy. The legs are a bit longer, and thicker. 'He' also acts very dominant towards all but a couple of the hens. 'He' has always been very timid towards me, and would freak out when I picked him up. I try to catch and hold a couple times per day, to help 'him' to be a bit tamer.

Oh, and the comb and wattles are RED and more developed than the other chickens.

What age do roos commonly begin to crow? My chicks are 5 weeks today. (Wednesday)

Here 'he' is: Let me know what you all think!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Don't count on anything physical marking this as either sex just yet! It's way too soon to tell, even with red comb and wattles. He(?) probably won't crow until he's at least 4 months old, depending on breed. And I'm sure someone with way more experience can give you more specifics on your nicely marked baby. Have fun!

3. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    WHat breed is that?

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    thats a rooster

5. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    amartinlb, the breed is supposed to be Silver-Laced Wyandotte, but I have noticed some different markings than my SLW hens have, so who knows! He is not a Barred Rock, I know that much.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'll be very surprised if that turns out to be anything but a rooster.

7. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The friend I am raising these chicks for wanted 1 rooster anyway, so I'll be glad not to have to worry about finding him a new home with someone else. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by