Remember that FREE chicken food sample...UPDTD W/ PIC

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gertiie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Well it came in a brown paper bag, folded over, about a cup worth. It was sitting on my kitchen table since last week.
    I was walking by it this morning , and noticed "dust particle" things on it. Curious I brushed it off a little bit. Then I noticed the dust particle were M O V I N G [​IMG]
    Are you kidding me ?????? WTH ?
    I put it outside, I dont kow if my camera would video it that close or not, they are very very tiny ! But A L I V E [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

EWWW!

On the plus side i guess that means it's full of living protein [​IMG] hope they aren't all over and just stayed on the feed.

3. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Hmmm...still have not received mine...

Were they bowevels ?

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Not good!

I had trouble one year at a feed mill where I was having my feed custom ground. Kept getting feed that had weevils in it. They just kinda blew me off saying the bugs didn't hurt the birds. Tried to get across to them that "No the bugs don't hurt the chickens if they eat them, but they break down the nutrients in the feed. I am an unhappy customer and you should do something about it!" Another person I know took a whole pallet of horse feed back to them due to the weevils. I just started buying my feed elsewhere as did several others that I know of.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What I do with my scratch is throw some DE into it to keep those moth's out of it. It seems to work. I store it in a metal garbage can. Probably work with bird seed but I don't waste money on that anymore. Chicken feed is cheaper and they don't fly away when I want to look at them. Plus they lay eggs.. [​IMG]

As for the feed I re-stock that into recycled cat litter jugs so I can seal it to keep it fresh and carry it to the coop. Of course I wash them out real good with a little dish soap.

Now as far as the op is concerned I'm sure the chickens won't mind the extra protein. [​IMG]

I wish you the best

Rancher

6. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch. [​IMG]

7. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    This is as good of a pic as I can get . I looked online and found nothing that compares to it . Now I feel creepy crawly *shivers*

[​IMG]

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Weevils, hard to keep them out of stored grain.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Grain mites. Try looking them up online and see if thats what they sound like.

10. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Feed store I was in this weekend said if you put the grain in the freezer it will kill the weevils......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by