1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Remember the original Thor? Meet his successor, Loki.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 17, 2012.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No matter how many chickens I ever own, Thor the brahma roo will always be my favorite. Big, beautiful and a sweetheart. Unfortunately we had to put him down due to his bad leg, about a year and a half ago.

[​IMG]

Needing another excellent roo and tired of dealing with butthead ones of different breeds, I took a chance and ordered from the same hatchery Thor came from. I kept my fingers crossed that they were still using the same supplier/supply for LF dark brahma eggs. Meet Loki. Seven months old and so much like Thor it spooks me at times. Only thing is...Thor weighed 13 lbs. in his prime; Loki is going to be even bigger. Heaven help me.

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hey, welcome back! We missed you.
    Your roosters are beautiful! I'm glad you got a good replacement for Thor. A good roo is worth his weight in gold...

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Sumi [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Loki is a looker. I have a soft spot for Brahmas and big fluffy roosters.

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Wow! Pretty rooster! I am sorry for your loss. If a good rooster really was worth his weight in gold, you would've had 13 lbs of gold from Thor. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, I've tried other breeds but have decided it's only brahmas from here on out. Oh and those pesky seramas that spend all their time being broody. Now if a serama was just big enough to hatch out more brahmas for me I'd be happy as a lark.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thor was an excellent roo. Loki still has a ways to go before he can measure up, but he's getting there. [​IMG]

8. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Your young roo is so handsome! I'm sorry you lost Thor, but hopefully Loki can carry on the legacy. I have heard so many good things about Brahma roos, that as soon as I get my hobby farm, I am going to have one! And a Silkie roo, of course. Just for entertainment... [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks. [​IMG]

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You're back! I'm so excited!

Congrats on your new rooster! He's a handsome fella!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by