remember the SOB dogs? One came back!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by justusnak, Dec 12, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...a few days ago, I posted about 2 dogs, came and killed our Burbon red Rooster. We was able to catch the dogs, and altho the number on the tags didnt work, was able to get them to someone who would take them to a Lab rescue organization. Well, I thought....problem solved. NOT EVEN! The black lab came back today...wih a new tag attached to his collar. So, I call the dog...Biscuit...and he comes running to me. I called the number, and finally get a hold of the owner. As hard as it was, I was nice...told her where to come and get her dog...and that we needed to talk.
    When she gets here, she started off saying her 3 year old son let the dog out, and she tried to call him, but he just kept running. Well...I just put my hand up, and said....look, im not looking for excuses...I just want to tell you...we have chickens here, and TRY to make a little money selling chicks and eggs. I told her last week her dog killed a Rooster that was to be sent to another home, and that I had to refund the money to the person...and how Burbon died in my arms. She kept saying how sorry she was, and that she would TRY to keep the dog at home. WHAT?? TRY??? So, calmly....i just looked at her and said....well...let me tell ya something...IF your dog comes back here for another chicken dinner...you WONT get a call. I wont kill the dog...just rehome him FAR AWAY, in another city pound. She said she understands...and that she will try to get her husband to put a fence in. UGH!! IF that dog comes back, I will tie it up, and call the sherriff.....and let them handle it. I dont want the dog to suffer from its owners IGNORANCE. He is a beautifull black lab pup, just a year old.....but I dont want to lose any more of MY birds to HER ignorance.
    Just needed to vent some....PLEASE..no hatefull remarks....we dont need another thread locked!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sounds like you made your point with her as civil as you could. [​IMG] Sorry it came back, hope she keeps it in her own yard from now on! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You were extremely civil and restrained, IMO. Not much more you can say, except to excuse yourself, go inside and write her out a bill for the dead birds, go back and hand it to her. When she said TRY to keep the dog home, I remembered what Yoda would say...No TRY... DO.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well....my son was standing there with the gun....on the porch...I think she got the message...but, I will NOT shoot the dog...he is a good dog, just miss managed! He really needs a BETTER home in my opinion, and will get it, if he returns.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You handled this great. Having just lost 6 Chickens last week to an attack, I understand how you feel. But being a dog lover, I know that it is really not the dog’s fault but the owners and appreciate how you are handling this.

Just wanted to say Kudos to you.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Really good job Deb, very diplomatic, next time, however, take that dog to the animal shelter and she will have to pay to get it out! [​IMG] Darlene

7. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    justus...you did a great job handling this, as far I can tell. It is sad to find a stray and even more sad to know that the owners are not proper.

Good job being civil! [​IMG]

I feel sorry for the lab...Poor dog![​IMG]

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Good job Deb, way to go. You handled yourself very well in that situation. You showed great restraint.

9. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    u did the right thing. its hard i know.maybe they will keep him at home.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Perhaps you can find the dear pup a home on here.... ~>BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by