Remembering Blue Boy in His Glory days. Blue Orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Sep 3, 2009.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I was going through some old photos and just wanted to post his photo of Blue Boy who I bought as a chick from Sandhill Preservation. He is two yrs here and with all his faults he was a beautiful roo to me and added so much to my flock. He is picture in first photo with a huge black girl that came from a breeder in Fl who had exhibition lines of Blacks. Those two together gave me some really awesome offspring .
    [​IMG]

This is a Sandhill black hen. I still use her for my black pen. She is going on four years old and is a good layer.
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    And here I thought Sandhill was an overglorified hatchery. Not bad at all!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sandhill does some good work in many breeds you just cant get everywhere. I'll always have a soft spot for Blue Boy because he is Suede's sire and they are so very much alike. Suede is a gentle, sweet rooster and will always have a place here, no matter what.

4. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Over three years ago they had some good Orpingtons. I only bought the one time since I couldn't find any anywhere else and I waited on a waiting list for 8 months to get them. I just sold the last original splash hen from them. She was very typey and still layed very well. The black hen is last original hen I have left. She still lays well and is typey and so she will stay. Blue boy ceased to fertilize eggs this year. He was recently sold as I needed the pen. He was a great Rooster and did a good job for me for 2 1/2 years. he weighed about 15 lb at over 3 years.

5. speckledhen

Julie, you sold Blue Boy? Never thought you would. Well, we do what we must. Suede is the same size as Blue Boy with an 18" wide chest.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    That is one gorgeous rooster. Hen too! Pretty birds.

7. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    It was a hard decision. He still got on the hens but I think he was just so big he wasn't hitting the mark. Best natured Rooster we have ever owned. My husband loved him and always gave him his own flock even if he couldn't produce anything. If I had had enough pens I might have kept him. I am really downsizing right now so I we can go places and only have reasonable amts of birds for caretakers to see about.

8. speckledhen

Julie, I do understand that completely. I need to downsize to a certain amt of birds, but I just can't part with my originals, who are almost 4 years old now. When Suede is gone, no more BBS Orps for me. Can't imagine another Orp rooster here in his place.

9. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Well, there are a lot of folks here on BYC that Have been able to enjoy the offspring of such a wonderful Rooster. Tank reminds me of Blue Boy so much.

10. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Hey, Julie. [​IMG] I'm one of those folks. I've got some of Blue Boy's babies. And I've got many many of his grandbabies running around the chicken yard right now too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by