Remembering to close the coop up at night!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gallinaceous, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Gallinaceous

Gallinaceous Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    Now that it's brighter a little later when I get home from work I've been giving my chickens a little free range time at night. They put themselves to bed when it gets dark and I tuck them in, say good night, and lock em all up safe and sound...but one of these days I'm going to totally forget. It's ALMOST happened a couple of times. [​IMG]If I forget and some thing bad happens to my girls I'll just die. How do you all remember to close up your coop at night? Any slick tricks you seasoned chicken keepers have to share?

1 person likes this.
  2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Automatic door? Pullet Shut makes one that can be timed or a optional light sensor.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It has to become routine or set an alarm on your cell phone.
    I've trapped out most of the vermin and have been lucky lately when they don't get locked till late but I know my luck will run out.
    I have 5 flocks so it is a process.

4. Gallinaceous

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    Pullet Shut! Funny name! I'll check it out.

5. Gallinaceous

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    Alarm on the cell phone is a good idea. I'll definitely have to try that. My coop is very vermin proof but not if I don't close the door!

6. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Normally I forget once every fortnight [​IMG] but no foxes at all have come near. On hot days they sleep outside. They go to sleep on the broody box and on some rocks. We open all the windows and doors leaving the fly seen open for our dog (Jack Russell ) to smell a fox and he barks so we run out with a torch and scare it away. Here's a tip: foxes hate humans so get a sweaty shirt and hang it up in the coop and the fox will smell it and not go near the coop.[​IMG].

7. Write a sticky note and put in on your fridge. Then you wont forget. That is what I do so I dont forgetto give my chiks a hard boiled egg.
    Good Luck!

8. The shirt thing is a good idea. You should still try to close the coop door.

9. Gallinaceous

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    That's a good idea too. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by