Remind me please. Day 18. Hova 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 24, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, everything I've read has blown out the other ear.....

Just remind me: Tonight I am going to remove the eggs from the turner. I guess I'm going to put them in an egg carton. My questions are:

1. Can I leave the top off the 'bator long enough to fashion a bit of tubing through the vent hole for adding water if necessary? Shouldn't take long....Actually since the turner will be gone, I can probably fish this tubing down even after I put the top back on ....hmmm...

2. Do I remember correctly that I should/can put a couple of layers of cheese cloth on top of the hardware cloth? I guess what I'm looking for (if I can't find my cheesecloth) is just some quite loosely woven fabric to buffer them from the wire?

3. And then fill another or all of the water troughs?

I candled last night, and of my 12 eggs, two were clear, one was kicking, and the other 9 were inscrutable to the beginner that I am. They have good air sacks and definitely dark development below, but .... the rest will be what it will be.

Susan

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup shouldn't hurt to get that tubing in when you take the turner out. And I have seen a lot of people use that plasticy cupboard liner over the wire. And you fill the middle bigger trough and the one next to it. And if the humidity doesn't reach 60 -70 percent then add a wet sponge.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh good. Thanks for reminding me about that cupboard liner. I've got that hanging around. It's also great for helping get lids off of jars.... Guess I'd better wash some up now.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by