Remind me why I clean their water dish?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by babyrnlc, Oct 3, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    So I spend a bit of time each day cleaning out the water dish. (they have a nipple waterer also)but they like to stand in it and poop in it. So I wash it almost every day. It is beautiful. I could drink out of it. But as soon as I let them out they run to the spot by the faucet that become a mud puddle and drink like it is the best! [​IMG]

Crazy chickens.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. Mine do the same. They exist to make us crazy.

Cats are the same way. I can scrub out water bowls until they shine. They will still go drink out of the toilet. Sigh.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Same reason my barncat & horses drink from puddles after I scrub their bowl/buckets.

Because they can.

For my chickens it's a little resin fairy fountain a neighbor gave me.
    Set beneath a bush it gets nasty with algae but that is their Magic Water - they shoulder each other aside to get a drink & glare at me when it's empty.

Dang thing only holds about a cup, so I keep a watering can nearby to refill it ASAP.
    Mmmmmmmm....the Magic Waterrrrrrrrrr : 9

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have come to the conclusion that chickens like their water flavored with mud. [​IMG]

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Or leftover scraps from the kitchen, we collect water while washing veggies to water the plants, and regularly find them drinking out of the buckets.

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Those silly kids....

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I wish we had a mud puddle. My chickens like to drink from my two drains. One drain thats from the A/C the other from my ice maker.I have bowls under the drains as well so the birds have a place to drink while free ranging.

8. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I found the culprit! At least now I know how the water dish gets so dirty. I sat outside and this little Brabanter was in it EVERY time she got a drink! It wasnt that hot either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    See, even chickens love a good foot soak. [​IMG]

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ha my chicks will put all there bedding in there water I just finished cleaning it out. They don't get in it though. I try to pull the bedding away from the waterer but it doesn't work what makes them do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by