Reminder that predation can be acute in town

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChooksChick, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've been having hawk problems this year, likely because of the drought that has affected the Midwest.

I just wanted to remind all the new folks out there who may not realize yet the risk that their birds are in EVEN IN TOWN.

Hawks and raccoons are as much of a problem, if not more, in town. I lost another hen yesterday, to make a loss total of 6 in the last 3 weeks. I can't let my birds out today, because NOTHING short of 4 solid walls and a roof is protecting them right now.

Please be diligent, regardless of DIRECT EXPERIENCE. Please know that the risk is there, and protect your flocks- so you don't have to experience the loss to believe the threat.

RIP Bluebell, Poof, et al.

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    im sorry you lost so many of your birds..........i hope things get better for you..........[​IMG]

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbor had a dog lifted by a hawk from her yard and dropped. We live in the city.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

People ought to sit outside some nights and spotlight their garbage can area or backyards around 3 a.m. They'd be surprised what they see. Raccoons and possums are all over the place. Hawks, of course, fly everywhere. Sorry for your losses.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We even get turkey buzzards as well in town.

Yes hawks are more commonplace in town, feeding off road kills that the city does not have the money to scrape them off the roads, so it is free for all for flying animals.

Coons and possums are out in full force.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I get a chuckle when people say they don't have raccoons or predators in their area. Raccoons live just about EVERYWHERE where people do. Hawks are more common in urban areas, nowadays, too, especially Cooper's hawks who hunt feeder birds.

Sorry about your chickies.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by