REMINDER to parents of young ones...

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
14 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
I have had a bad feeling for the last several days about my kid being 2 states away and not watched as carefully as I would watch her. I found out why last night. She had joined a site, given her FULL REAL name, hair color, eye color, height, weight, complete with a recent photo, told where she lived, where she was going on vacation, when she would be where, and was talking to an (alleged)19 year old boy!!!
ep.gif
She is 13!!! Had I not been the type of parent who monitors her e-mail, and FOLLOWS UP....I could have lost her FOREVER. Who knows if the 13 year old girl she was talking to was indeed a 13 year old girl or a 40 year old pedophile!!!! I found in the e-mail where she had invited this person to meet in real life at her vacation destination! When confronted, she came clean, when pushed a bit, I got the password to the site, and found out just how loose lipped she was being. I could not monitor the site through the e-mail, and she was NOT supposed to be signed up to any sites to start with. Vacation is now on lockdown for her safety, and I hate it for her
hit.gif
but she chose to go beyond her limits.

YES WE HAVE DISCUSSED internet safety VARIOUS times and thoroughly, but my kid is bulletproof, so it didn't apply to her
roll.png

SOOOOOO, that being said......please be careful, and AGAIN...KNOW WHAT YOUR KIDS ARE DOING ONLINE! It's NOT nosy, it's LOVE!! For their protection! Nobody on earth can protect them like a loving parent...not cops, not teachers, NOBODY! Remember, a child's brain does not fully develop until their mid twenties. The LAST to develop......reasoning skills in the frontal lobe area of the brain...go figure. They STILL NEED us through early adulthood! Just because they can cook for themselves, and wipe their own butt now...doesn't mean our job is over! I HATE to see kids get hurt, and PRAY that all of the parents of BYC are careful, and knowledgeable of what's going on with their kids. GOD BLESS YOU ALL! I hope you never have to feel what I felt last night. SHEER terror, disappointment, and to have your trust in your child utterly ripped out of your heart...it is just AWFUL!

I hope she wont have access to a computer anymore for a looong while....
That would be IT.... no second chances.

Reading this made my heart sink. I worry about this ALL the time. I monitor the best I can, but I don't know what they do when I am not around on other computers. (like the library, friends...)

Keep up the fight Cindi.

I had not seen any of your posts recently and was hoping nothing awful had happened...gee-sh, it was looming on the horizon wasn't it?
The Internet can be wonderful and horrible all at the same time. we are never safe. We must never let down our guard.
Hugs to you, miss cindiloohoo.

Thank you for this warning.

If you see a post by a young member here, Please PM me or hit the report button.

We will edit such sensitive information and if possible alert the youngster's parents.

Good job looking out for your baby! When I was 14 (and the internet wasn't nearly as popular as it is today), we all used to Yahoochat, and I 'met' an older guy who offered me plane tickets to come 'visit' him. It was so tempting, since my home life was really sucky... but I was too scared to actually do it... Looking back, I am almost positive that if I'd gone to see him, something terrible would have happened... so you may have just saved your child's life.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can not tell you how many fellow parents call me nosy and think it is an invasion of a childs privacy to monitor these things. I know a parent of a 16 year old girl who looked in her daughters purse for some chapstick without her knowledge and found Marijuana. When I asked her what she did, she said NOTHING!! She didn't take it, talk to her, nothing! Why? Because I should not have been in her purse!
ep.gif
Excuse me!

I am the parent who periodically checks my 15 yo DS Email, phone records, back pack and yes, even his room. Now if I run across a personal "love note" or something I don't say anything, just put it back. I am not out to embarrass my child but I am out to protect him and hopefully prevent any problems. DS knows I may log on to his email, and track where he has been online. This has caused him to come clean about some things before I find them. He is a pretty good kid and I want to keep it that way.

So thank you for reassuring me that I am not way off base. I am glad you are a "nosy " parent too. Or is that a smart and loving parent
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom