Oct 14, 2018
Upstate New York
IMG_3304.JPG IMG_3305.JPG IMG_3306.JPG IMG_3308.JPG
Hi Everyone! These are interior shots of a used coop I purchased last year to move our existing flock into. This spring I added 9 standard sized hens to the flock, and started them in this coop while the main flock stayed next door in the original, smaller coop. All chickens have been in and out of this space... and they hate it! LOL! The 9 hens I put in there roost in the high window sill, although 2 have since moved into the smaller coop! Notice there are no proper roosts... NO one likes the nest boxes (okay well, 2 hens do). They are about 11 x 11, too small I'd say, and too high off the floor? All the other new hens go to the smaller crowded coop to lay in the six next boxes in there! Argh!

I've looked through many posts here and have some ideas. I hope to start the remodel this week or next so I welcome any ideas and feedback!

For orientation, these photos are (L-R):
#1 From people door, looking at west wall.
#2 North wall
#3 South wall (has windows that slide open at top) and pop door (bottom left)
#4 East wall, contains people door

Here's what I'm thinking:

* South wall (high windows): Install poop boards about waist-high (I am 5'2") and a roost over it for the high-flying girls who like to roost on the window sill.
* South wall: next boxes under the poop boards???
* West wall: Install poop boards at same waist high, roost over and a couple dog crates under for chicken seclusion, if needed???
* West wall: Storage under this waist high poop board?
* North wall: Install a long row of regular "ladder style" low roosts for slkies and cochins, with trays that slide out from under for cleaning.
* East wall (has people door): Storage for barrels of feed? Etc?

Questions:
* I've seen folks say to put waters and feeders under the poop boards... like having things under a loft space. Thoughts?
* Would you store feed in a coop this big for convenience? If so, ideas?
* Nest boxes under the poop boards? (The current nest boxes every one uses are floor level, walk-in, in the original smaller coop).
* Other ideas for nest box locations?

With all this space, what else might you do to make it nice for the flock?

Thanks kindly! Buck bucka!

The tallest nest boxes would be difficult for them to access without a ramp. I don't blame them for using the walk in ones in the other coop. They have been given the ok buy other hens.

B604C5E0-FC93-4E93-A77D-9FCD56B612EE.jpeg
View attachment 1755815 View attachment 1755816 View attachment 1755817 View attachment 1755818
Hi Everyone! These are interior shots of a used coop I purchased last year to move our existing flock into. This spring I added 9 standard sized hens to the flock, and started them in this coop while the main flock stayed next door in the original, smaller coop. All chickens have been in and out of this space... and they hate it! LOL! The 9 hens I put in there roost in the high window sill, although 2 have since moved into the smaller coop! Notice there are no proper roosts... NO one likes the nest boxes (okay well, 2 hens do). They are about 11 x 11, too small I'd say, and too high off the floor? All the other new hens go to the smaller crowded coop to lay in the six next boxes in there! Argh!

I've looked through many posts here and have some ideas. I hope to start the remodel this week or next so I welcome any ideas and feedback!

For orientation, these photos are (L-R):
#1 From people door, looking at west wall.
#2 North wall
#3 South wall (has windows that slide open at top) and pop door (bottom left)
#4 East wall, contains people door

Here's what I'm thinking:

* South wall (high windows): Install poop boards about waist-high (I am 5'2") and a roost over it for the high-flying girls who like to roost on the window sill.
* South wall: next boxes under the poop boards???
* West wall: Install poop boards at same waist high, roost over and a couple dog crates under for chicken seclusion, if needed???
* West wall: Storage under this waist high poop board?
* North wall: Install a long row of regular "ladder style" low roosts for slkies and cochins, with trays that slide out from under for cleaning.
* East wall (has people door): Storage for barrels of feed? Etc?

Questions:
* I've seen folks say to put waters and feeders under the poop boards... like having things under a loft space. Thoughts?
* Would you store feed in a coop this big for convenience? If so, ideas?
* Nest boxes under the poop boards? (The current nest boxes every one uses are floor level, walk-in, in the original smaller coop).
* Other ideas for nest box locations?

With all this space, what else might you do to make it nice for the flock?

Thanks kindly! Buck bucka!
I have a really tiny set up compared to yours, I am envious of the space that you have! You could make something so beautiful! I have my nest boxes under the poop board and my hens love it! I also put curtains in because they really seem to like the privacy of them.

31 nest boxes? How many hens do you have?

If there's no proper roosts, add some.

The 31 next boxes GO AWAY! LOL. Belonged to previous owner who had loads of chickens apparently. Those next boxes go now. Consider the interior a blank slate... I have 25 hens of different sizes, cochins, silkies, standard sized hens. And you betcha, installing proper roosts per chicken size!

The 31 next boxes GO AWAY! LOL. Belonged to previous owner who had loads of chickens apparently. Those next boxes go now. Consider the interior a blank slate... I have 25 hens of different sizes, cochins, silkies, standard sized hens. And you betcha, installing proper roosts per chicken size!

It sounds like you have a good plan to start the project. I'm sure your gals will like the new and improved digs.

How big is building, in feet by feet?
Pics of outside, please?
What do you have for ventilation?
How many birds total?

I see no roosts and way too many nests.

Building size: 8' x 11'. Generous!

Ventilation: sliding glass windows in the front (need to install hardware cloth for safety) and a small 2x3ish door in the highest part on the side that can open too (again, needs hardware cloth installed). There's a metal roof, uninsulated, so the shape of the corrugation of that provides ventilation, if that makes sense? And of course, I could add a screen door to the people door.

Flock size: 29 mixed flock of silkies, cochins, and standard sized hens.

Next boxes: The coop came this way... all these nest boxes GO! Will be made new.

Roosts will be added as appropriate for bird sizes (with poop boards under).

Questions: do you have a style of nest box and roost you favor?

The tallest nest boxes would be difficult for them to access without a ramp. I don't blame them for using the walk in ones in the other coop. They have been given the ok buy other hens.

Yeah, I don't know how the previous owner's flock managed it really. I agree with you; the hens have voted for the style they like in the other coop! Perhaps I'll try to duplicate what they like as best as I can.

Back
Top Bottom