1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Remodeled Coop Making her Stop Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Olive Hill, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Our flock is greatly depleted after losing chicks to a flood this spring and then to very determined racoons this summer. We only have three hens left. All three are young yet (Right around 21 weeks.) One started laying on September 3, a nice hard-shelled, decently sized egg and has been giving us an egg every day since just like clock work. I talk her up every morning, tell her what a good little hen she is. [​IMG]

On Monday we "remodeled" their coop. Put in a couple of new nest boxes, fixed the roof before winter, etc. I put a golf ball in each of the new nest boxes to encourage her to use them. Tuesday morning we let them out, took my daughter to school and when I got back she was in the nest box. Never heard a peep from her about it and when I went back out later there was our daily egg right next to the golf ball. I collected it (other two aren't laying yet) and took it inside. This morning I let them out, took my daughter to school and when I got home she was going in and out of the coop just having a hissy fit. I thought maybe one of the other hens had decided to join in the laying and was in her way. Walked over to check it out and there was nothing. The other two were no where to be seen (they all free-range) but she continued right on having a fit about I don't know what. Kept going in and picking at the bedding in the next box, making a racket. I left her alone and went inside. Figured she'd work it out and lay on her own.

I went out later, no egg. Checked again even later, still no egg. She didn't lay at all today.

She's laid right in the coop every single day. The first egg she laid she was NOT happy about us taking, but after that we'd open the coop door in the morning and she'd go over and push the egg at us and let us pick it up without a fuss (very friendly/personable hen, more like a cat than a chicken) .

Is it possible she's mad about the golf balls? I took them out tonight to see what happens... Any ideas? I know they occasionally stop laying/don't lay every day, but I've never had one throw such a hissy fit over ... I don't know what. And it was right at the time of morning she had previously laid???

2. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Sometimes they just miss a day... There only chicken :p

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Oh, I certainly agree and didn't mean to come across as believing otherwise. I was more concerned about the hissy fit she threw being a sign of something more than the inevitable missed day than anything. She's not one to throw fits and because it coincided with her usual laying time I thought it perhaps a sign of ... something. Maybe I am just worrying too much though.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens don't like change, period. The older and more set in their ways they get, the less they like change. Kinda like me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by