1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Remodeled the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PastorSBC, Apr 14, 2009.

1. PastorSBC

PastorSBC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    SEMO
    Chickens are gonna live high class now
    Fixed them up a real town house complete with 2 floors.

I have had the hutch for a couple of years but decided to give it some more room and allow the birds to get to the ground and still be penned up.

I put a drop down ladder out of the floor and added chicken wire around the hutch legs. I added a door on the end so I could get in there or let them free range some.

I have wire petitions in the hutch that are laid down. if I want to separate them all I have to do is raise the petition. the hutch can be separated into 3 pens.
    [​IMG]

here is most of the gang. the laying bins will be revamped when I am done using that end of the hutch as a brooder
    [​IMG]

this little one is really bright. one of those died for Easter.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking that it is a banny. it is about the same age as the ones right next to it.
    [​IMG]

I will be letting them free range a lot but when I cant be home they will be able to get to the ground.

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Looks great! Nice job!

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Your chickies are so cute! I love the coop. Mine is a work in progress but most of the work is in my head lol

4. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Quote:It looks great!!!

[​IMG]

5. YumaJohnny

YumaJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yuma
    nice coop - what is the size?

6. PastorSBC

PastorSBC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    SEMO
    Quote:The Hutch is 10' X 4' counting the laying box on the end which I am using as a brooder right now. the lower run is 8' X 4'. We live in the parsnage and we cant build anything too permanent. We do have several acres to have fun with so the chickens will have lots of grass to roam in. When they get old enough to see what I have I will probably give a few to the neighbor so they wont be so crouded.

7. YumaJohnny

YumaJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yuma
    I like the board you made for a ladder for the chickens. I was trying to figure that part out but the pic is perfect - I'm sure I can duplicate it for my coop - Mine will only need to be about 2 feet of board for them to get up to the roost and nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by