remodeling coop, need some input

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by watchdogps, Sep 18, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Ok, hubby is finally motivated to get this coop done. We've had a temporary setup for a month now. It's a large room in the barn, 14x40. I'm trying to get him to go SIMPLE, not go building every blasted thing by hand. I just want plastic bins, litterpans etc for nest boxes, he wants to build something. If anyone has pics of their PLASTIC next boxes, I'd love them so I can show him. I feel like these are easier to clean than a permanent wood next box setup.
    Next, how high is good for roosts? We can go as high as we want! But I'm thinking waist high, maybe a lower one?
    How high for the nest boxes? I'm thinking ground level or maybe 12 inches up? A poop board just above the boxes so they cant poop ON the boxes, and a roost over that.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Well you can use milk crates for nest boxes, all my boxes are wood, but have no issue of cleaning them, because my hens just lay eggs in them and don't poo or sleep in them, roosts can be about 24" to 30" high
    nest boxes are usualy about 18" from ground. When you are going to post some pictures for us ?????

3. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Well, I can post you what we have to work with!
    [​IMG]
    The back wall has already been secured, and the door will be to the right side where a piece of barn siding is missing.

4. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Do you put anything on the bottom of the milk crates to make the bottom solid?

5. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:yes just some straw and it does work really fine.

6. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:That will be an awesome coop right there good for you [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Solid plastic isn't very good, it collects moisture which equals bacteria.

8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Ahhh..I see! Hubby was concerned about egg temperature if we want to let some hatch out.

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    If you want them to hatch eggs then put strong cardboard boxes with straw in it in corners and quiet areas. Don't have a top on the box and you can cut down one side so the hen can walk in it. Set it right on the floor, and use a lot of straw. You can build a wire pen around the hen after she goes setty before the hatch. Just throw it all away if it gets dirty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by