Remote Heat Source ??? For Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goodeggsforyou, Mar 15, 2011.

1. goodeggsforyou

goodeggsforyou In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    HELP.[​IMG] Our coop is far away, and I can't seem to find a product that will provide heat.

Solar is apparently too expensive and/or complex at this point, and battery operated impractical. We are considering running electric underground or simply an extension cord, but our dog loves to chew plastic/rubber and she loves to dig for gophers (we have them in abundance). At this point, I think they will be in our laundry room for starters, but that can of course only last so long.

ANY ideas? I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks So Much. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Do you have a garage?

I move mine from the house between 3 - 4 weeks to the garage (150 rubbermaid water tank). Power is out there for a heat source until I can wean them off of it and then out to the coop they go.

3. Next winter, you'll have to haul warm water out there every day during freezing weather. That is another issue with not having electricity to the coop.

Meanwhile, a garage attached to the house? String a long, long extension cord? It would have to be very heavy duty as current drops when asked to flow through a very light weight cord longer than 40'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: