Remote temperature / humidity sensor... a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hauntedyards, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hauntedyards

Hauntedyards Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I just ordered the same one. Will be here monday.

3. Hauntedyards

May 12, 2011
    Lol I'll take that as a yes... good reviews over all... the humidity setting might be handy to help with the venting control in the winter...

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a La Crosse temp/humidity in the coop and love it. Although I've never heard of the Meade brand, this does look like a decent unit. You really have to be careful and read the specs on the thermo/ hygro units. 75% of them display the INDOOR humidity. Just FYI

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. Hauntedyards

May 12, 2011
    With this unit you have to buy the Meade TS33C-M Temperature and Humidity Sensor with LCD as well for like $19 to get the outdoor readings.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have a similar one, it is interesting seeing the temps in the dead of winter in the coop. Just when you think they will all freeze to death, it's comfy in there. I got the kind with the remote sensors, 3 remotes go to one main unit in the kitchen, that way I can monitor all the coops.

7. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a remote for temp but not for humidity. My coop is 80 feet from the house. The first remote rated for 100 feet did not work, but the next level for 300 feet does. I too like seeing how the birds raise the temp by around 10 degrees F. just with body heat. It also tracks high and low temp for the day. I'm sure you will enjoy your sensor.

Now, what I would really love, is a chicken cam! [​IMG] I saw one at a homeshow but the set up starts at hundreds of dollars.

8. Hauntedyards

May 12, 2011
    I imagine any small wireless IR micro-camera setup would do the trick. They can be had for around $50 usually.

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We have a remote sensor that somebody gave us for Christmas so we put it in the coop. The chickens maneuvered it around and sat on it when they went broody and LOVED it...Ha. They decided they wanted to hatch it, and it was a lovely, constant 100 degrees under the broody hen's butt. At one point, I had three broody hens in the same box, all sitting on the remote sensor box. [​IMG]

We have since moved it and mounted it on the WALL inside the coop.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow... I just installed one a few days back... people say I'm nuts for doing so but oh well! It also records stills or movies.
    Here's the "coop cam"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by