1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

removable sides & gluing wood panels together?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScotH, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I am planning on making two or three of my coop walls removable, they will be held in place with 'Hanger' bolts (some people around here use those bolts to secure hurricane boards), I can't think of any problems other than if the wood swells or warps then the bolts won't fit, but I can make the holes larger and use large washers.

Can I glue (or Liquid Nail) these panels together to make large side panel? .. I can frame the edges with trim boards if needed

Here are my panels the are 5-3\\4" tall with about 3\\4" overlap, the longest panel will be 6 feet long:

[​IMG]

For those that don't know, Here's what a Hanger Bolt looks like:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    What I'm wondering is whether it might not be better to keep two smaller panels rather than glue or fasten them into one bigger panel? With two panels, you'd have more flexibility: you could take them both off, leave them both on, or take one off and leave one on. Smaller panels would also be easier for you to handle and store, too.

Strange: sometimes I can see your pictures, other times I can't.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I was thinking the same about splitting the 6 feet panel as it will be around 50 lbs. and pretty awkward to move, although, that's gonna be my clean-out door so I might do a 4 feet panel and just nail \\ screw the extra 2 feet in permanent. Inside of the panels there will be chicken wire or wire mesh, so making a 3 or 4 foot hinging frame will be easier.

The image problems maybe due to imageshack hosting, I thought uploading my pictures there would be better then here... [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Just a tip: don't rely on chicken wire for predator protection, because it doesn't work. Welded wire (sometimes called hardware cloth) is much more secure.

5. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    Yeah Possums, Rats and maybe one of our Dogs will be the only predators around here, I haven't seen a raccoon in my whole life, but I plan on getting the 1\\2" x 1\\2" mesh installed before I get my chickens. My dog loves killing Possums, I'm pretty sure once he sees me with the chickens (feeding etc.) he'll understand they belong here, but I won't ever trust free-ranging them with the dogs around.

6. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I would run a couple of support boards like a 1x2 perpendicular to the siding just for additional support to the glue or use tongue and grove siding. To avoid the swelling problems in the holes, I would insert a fitting like a piece of pipe, etc. They make something like this, but I'm not sure what they are officially called. For utility in removing or rehanging the walls, I would put handles on the inside or the outside which works best. The handles should give you more leverage.

7. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Just a thought - I might edge-glue each board using exterior grade wood glue,
    then screw on a frame and crossbuck (crossbuck = 2 thinner boards, like 1x3, laid in an 'X')
    and hang with screen hangers at the top and a latch at the bottom.
    Quick to remove, strong, and attractive.

CROSSBUCK:
    [​IMG]

SCREEN HANGERS, $2.15 ea pair at Ace Hardware

[​IMG]

While there are multiple ways to do any project I try to look for the strongest, easiest, and cheapest!

8. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Quote:I'm a carpenter and I think what you are designing would work fine. I would put two strips of wood down the edges, 1x2 would be fine for this as would trim boards on the outside as well. I would cut the 1 by's on the inside and setting them up just right so you can set the 1 by's on the coop floor or whatever they are sitting on to hold the panels up so that the screws just hold the panels on and not do the "holding up" as well. I would use 2 screws evenly spaced to screw the T&G into the 1 by's and not bother with gluing the panels up although you could caulk the outside to seal it up and to give it a finished look to paint it. I would personally use 1x2 on the inside and trim worked up on the outside to hide the edges and overlap trim boards attached to the coop so when the panel is on it has a finished look to it. This will be alot lighter than 50 lbs. and would offer you excellent access to the inside of the coop. You could even hinge one side (what I did with mine) and position your compost next to it. I open the side door and just sweep everything directly into my compost, no muss no fuss.

Its raining here today but if I get the chance to get outside and snap a shot of my side door I can show you exactly what I mean. Sometimes explaining how to build things can get a little iffy at best...

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would use 1/2 inch plywood on the back side cut the same dimension as the overall size of the panel. glue all of the planks to the plywood, use short brads to help hold it together, then clamp or set something heavy on it on a good hard flat surface until the glue sets up. ETA: Then add trim to the outside if desired.

Just my own way. There is lots of them. Hope someone gives you an idea that you like.

10. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    Thanks for all the suggestions and yep I'm getting some good ideas, unfortunately we are dealing with the heavy rain here from that blasted hurricane too, there's no way I can get out there and work on it until tomorrow or Thursday... [​IMG]

More time for planning.
    I'll have about 8" to 10" of deep litter area in this coop so that lower part will have panels screwed\
    ailed in for good, with the exception of one side (under the nest box) which will hinge down for shoveling all that poop out. Those lower panels will partially be supporting the upper\
    emovable ones, but I know now they will need more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by