remove baby chick's from mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drifter240z, Jul 8, 2016.

1. drifter240z

drifter240z New Egg

Jul 24, 2015
    sacramento california
    Hey all! So my girls decided to become broody!
    She is sitting on 10 eggs, and 2 have hatched and a third one is on the way!

The mama has been good with the babies
    (Both of my chickens are broody and booth act really well around the chicks) today when I went outside, I noticed that mama and the chick's were outside. This is the first time I've seen them leave the nest. Long story short, I couldn't find one of my babies! I searched for over an hour and finally found her dead :/
    I'm pretty sure a rat may have gotten the baby.. I've caught multiple rats trying to steal food.

So my question is, should I just keep the babies inside? I made a box with food and water, and a red heat lamp for the baby tonight.

Your insight would be very great! Thank you

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If possible, I'd rat-proof the coop and leave chicks with momma. It will be better for both.

Ct

3. drifter240z

drifter240z New Egg

Jul 24, 2015
    sacramento california
    I could try to rat proof the coop, but I've tried in the past. I've personally caught 4 rats over a foot long in the coop.
    Also, I already have the baby inside, would it be bad if I gave her back to mama tomorrow? I don't want her to die :\
    Thanks again for the info![​IMG][​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try, but make sure that you supervise because she may reject the chick.

Ct

5. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Try giving the chick back at night. Sneak her under momma with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by