Remove Black Mark from Oak Chest?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jul 18, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I was finally able to remove my oak chest from storage and it didn't come in the best condition.

The top of the chest has a black mark from where, I can only assume, someone had put a tile on it and left it there? Don't know how or why they did it...but is there any way to remove the black marks?

What is BEST to use on it to get the finish back? My mom used to use "Old English" for wood. Is that the best to use? Would Orange Glow work on it as well?

ALSO: Does anyone know what I can use to make leather a bit more pliable? I got a show halter that is a bit stiff...any ideas?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

If the black mark is just on the surface of the chest, I'd try Murphy's Oil Soap. It's gentle, and won't harm the wood.

Have you tried mink oil on the halter? We used it to soften softball gloves, so I would assume it would work on most leather items.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The very best natural product to use for softening bridles, halters, baseball gloves, or any leather that you want pliable it Neetsfoot oil. Any petroleum based oil is detrimental to leather. If the leather is dirty use saddle soap and a soft brush to clean it and open the pores. Allow to dry and then apply Neetsfoot oil.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We have antique oak chairs with the original leather seats. If they need cleaning, I use saddle soap, and then rub them occasionally with Neatsfoot oil to keep the leather supple.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to work on and refinish old sewing machines and treadles. For the black mark, try rubbing mayonaise on it with your fingertips. Really rub it in. Let it sit in a warm room for about a couple of hours. This is real mayo NOT Miracle Whip! If you have cats, they will be attracted to it, keep them off of it! Wipe it off with a soft clean, lint free rag. You may have to repeat several times depending on the depth of the stain. As for Neatsfoot oil, it is great for the leather, but try to avoid contact with any stitching! Neatsfoot oil tends to degrade the stitching. I always cleaned my tack with Murphy's Oil Soap, then wiped it down with Lexol.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Pure Neetsfoot oil will not hurt stitching. However, Neetsfoot oil compound, a blend of natural and synethic oils will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by