remove ice on the wings of geese/ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bernie131, Dec 18, 2016.

1. bernie131

bernie131 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    As usual I go everyday to the college pond to feed my pekin duck and big white goose and the other Mallards that make it home.
    Today I picked up "Mama" I call her, the white goose and held because she had ice all over her head and neck, chest and wings and she tried
    to help me get it off then she just stuck her head under her wing and stayed there while I fed the other ducks. The lake is frozen over except for a small part
    where they stay in the water and I take them seed and greens and I know I am not suppose to but they love their bread because they have been living
    at the college for many years and that is what everybody feeds them.
    Should I removed the ice or does that insulate them? She really liked me holding her and warming her up and when I go to leave she really quacks and follows
    me,..I have to pick her up and take her back to "Shorty" (the Pekin duck) because they are ALWAYS together,.....
    WHAT DO I DO? The weather here is Kansas City is 2 degrees and wind chill is below zero,....??? They have no shelter but some trees, benches, picnic tables,..
    it's a park,..so what to do?
    Help,....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Make sure they get good nourishment . bread is okay in small amounts but good feed is best. it will give them something to help them through the frigid temps. You can mix with some cracked or whole corn which will help them have extra weight through winter too. Stop the corn next spring when it starts warming up. Try to make sure they always have a way to get water it is very important they have water when they eat or they can choke to death.. So sweet of you caring for them. @bernie131

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  3. bernie131

bernie131 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Thank you,...I love them and worry about them so much,..thought about making something for shelter for them but should I leave the ice on them or remove it. I am amazed she lets me do all this. I am not even sure if she is a male or female.??? I could posts pics and videos,..do you think someone could tell me just from the videos?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she'll let you then by all means help her. Don't use heat of any kind though. We have a few members who can tell male from female pretty good.

Not sure if they would even use a shelter unless it was safe from predators. That is the main concern when water fowl are left on their own with no secure housing
    Dogs, foxes just to name a few. Keeping the water open so they have a way of escape is vital. It's suppose to warm up hopefully yall will get it too.

Bless you for caring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by