Removed a Hen from the Coop

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
There has been a squabble every night come time to roost. I watched through the vent and one bigger hen would peck at any hen that got on the same roost. I don't have enough roost length for a hen to have a private roost. My roost is kinda L shaped due to my poor design. So I pulled her out and put her in a dog carrier for the night. Tomorrow I'll have to figure out what to do with her. My ears are open on this one. I have a 2' x 4' x 2' brooder in the shop... dunno what to do at this point.

JT

Make a curtain to divide your roost, just a little chunk sectioned off will be fine for her, hang it wherever you think is best.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I was thinking about how I could do something quick but darkness was on me so I needed to get her out so the rest could get on the roost. She seemed to like the side so we will see.

JT

I made a little divider out of a piece of paneling...
123roost.jpg

I have dividers on the perches in both of my coops where bossy hens hate sharing the perch with chickens they don't approve of. I tell ya, it's a life saver. My coops are not walk-ins so I staple thick material to the ceiling over the perches and they hang down and just touch the perch.

When there's a fight, I place one chicken on one side of the curtain divider and the other troublemaker beside her with the curtain between them. Instant peace.

These five Welsummers were brooded together, and when they reached point of lay, they all suddenly hated each other. So drastic times call for drastic measures.

P1010007.JPG

Much nicer than mine, it's a piece of cloth ziptied to a spring loaded curtain rod.Not pretty at all, but functional and portable lol!:)
I have dividers on the perches in both of my coops where bossy hens hate sharing the perch with chickens they don't approve of. I tell ya, it's a life saver. My coops are not walk-ins so I staple thick material to the ceiling over the perches and they hang down and just touch the perch.

When there's a fight, I place one chicken on one side of the curtain divider and the other troublemaker beside her with the curtain between them. Instant peace.

These five Welsummers were brooded together, and when they reached point of lay, they all suddenly hated each other. So drastic times call for drastic measures.

View attachment 1202478

Thanks for the ideas, mine is not a walk in either (another beginner mistake) but the side where the roost is opens all the way up for cleaning. I'll see what I can cobble up today to make a divider. At this point it's only the one hen being a trouble maker. She will get a red zip tie ankle bracelet this morning before going back into the run for quick identification and behavior monitoring.

JT

Thanks, I'll try something similar. Wish I had a coop that big... and the divider is a much better idea than some that were floating around in the ole gray matter.

JT

Gives you something to do this spring.... Build a bigger coop now that you realize the error of your ways! Lol. I read where you said you found BYC after your build, I found BYC before I built and spent MONTHS looking at coops and planning mine. I am so glad I went big, pics of mine are linked to the left although I should update them those were before I even got chicks, next box was not done although I may have added pics later not sure.

Gary

I've been thinking about how to enlarge the coop for some time now. I'm pretty sure at some point it will happen.

Well Red (we know her by sight now sporting a red ankle bracelet) was very ready to come out of the dog carrier this morning. After a bit of a wrestling match I got her calmed down and added the jewelry. The chicken yard is pretty quiet this morning except for Henry. I have some old hand towels and I hang one up for Red so she has a private roost.

JT

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom