Removed from heat lamp?

CountyGirl12

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2015
How long do ducklings need to be under a heat lamp?? I am going to get the 2 ducklings next Thursday. We have a Easter production coming up at the beginning of April. I was going to use them as my prop (in a cage) for the production. Will they still need to be under a heat lamp by then? I don't want to be carrying them around then they drop dead in the cage during the performance. Also, when do they start quacking ALOTTTTTTT?? I can't use them if they will be a quacking distraction. Thank you :)

How long do ducklings need to be under a heat lamp?? I am going to get the 2 ducklings next Thursday. We have a Easter production coming up at the beginning of April. I was going to use them as my prop (in a cage) for the production. Will they still need to be under a heat lamp by then? I don't want to be carrying them around then they drop dead in the cage during the performance. Also, when do they start quacking ALOTTTTTTT?? I can't use them if they will be a quacking distraction. Thank you
smile.png
I kept my ducks under the heat lamp until they were about eight weeks . . (I kept moving them to bigger cages). I think you can take the heatlamp down before that . . . but that's just what I did. Ducks are always going to be quacking. But I think mine were the loudest at about 5-9 weeks old. :)

Last edited:
How long do ducklings need to be under a heat lamp?? I am going to get the 2 ducklings next Thursday. We have a Easter production coming up at the beginning of April. I was going to use them as my prop (in a cage) for the production. Will they still need to be under a heat lamp by then? I don't want to be carrying them around then they drop dead in the cage during the performance. Also, when do they start quacking ALOTTTTTTT?? I can't use them if they will be a quacking distraction. Thank you
smile.png

If your production isn't until April, your ducklings will have grown quite a bit by then. They grow really super fast and will probably be in the awkward teenage stage by then. They are still cute, but not little fluffballs anymore. And depending on the temps where you are, a foray out from under the lamp for a few hours would be just fine. In fact, they might not really need it by then. Usually you drop the temp by 5 degrees a week so at 4 weeks they would be ok at around 75- 80 degrees.

Ok thanks guys! I know they would quack some during the production, they just can't quack ALOTTTTTTT and super loud lol :p If the ducks are to big, I was going to buy some more ducks for the drama if the store still has them. :) And the production is Good Friday, Saturday, and Easter.....I think that's the beginning of April lol

Ok thanks guys! I know they would quack some during the production, they just can't quack ALOTTTTTTT and super loud lol
tongue.png
If the ducks are to big, I was going to buy some more ducks for the drama if the store still has them.
smile.png
And the production is Good Friday, Saturday, and Easter.....I think that's the beginning of April lol

They will quack a lot if they have bonded to you and you are far away. If you are going to be carrying around the cage on stage with them, they probably will be pretty quite.

Yes, I would be carrying the cage the whole time. The only time I wouldn't have it is during 1-2 scenes but they would be downstairs so if they quack down there that's fine lol :)

Back
Top Bottom