Removed spurs lots of bleeding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Feb 17, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I did the hot potato and they twisted off no problem just like they said it would! I used Blu coat and flour to stop it but it's still dripping! Is that normal?! I'm so freaked out! He acts fine and happy?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you put a little flour or corn starch on them? Blood stop powder is good to keep around for things like this. I recently removed my roosters very thickened spurs with pliers, and they suprisingly did not bleed.

1 person likes this.
  3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I only did one spur because I freaked out, lol but I will do the other one tomorrow. I used flour and it still dripped through the flour and I probably got overly dramatic because I love him so much, and I freak out over my animals period! He seems great and his bleeding stopped shortly after thank goodness.do you like blood stopper better then flour? I'm so new to all this. First year with chickens and their spurs [​IMG][​IMG] my nerves are shot though ....

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Honestly, I did not use either. Mine did not bleed. I have both to use though. Blood usually clots in a couple of minutes.

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    why didn't your bleed? They seem to come off super easy with the potatoe method, so I wonder why he bled? I feel Terrible about it....But he seems great! Did I do something wrong you think? Thanks for your response [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have not done the potato method, so I don't know why they did not. I usually just dull or clip the points off my roosters' spurs, but he had ripped both of his spurs off a year or more earlier. Those had bled when I found each one at separate times, but had clotted already. When I was try to clip off the tips this time, they had become too thick for my dog nail clippers. So when I tried the pliers to dull the tips, one accidentally came off. So I did the other, and it was easy. The nubs of the spurs looked red like they might bleed, but they did not, even overnight.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    huh, I just don't understand why his bled so bad then. I mean the came off with little to no effort. Well I know his other spur needs to come off now but I'm just feeling uneasy about it right now. I sprayed it like 5 or 6 times a while ago with that Blu coat poultry stuff just so much dried blood. I think so of its flour on there too ugh. I just don't want him hurt I feel like a bad person now. I love that rooster and I feel horrified now. Hopefully I'm over reacting to all this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by