1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

removed this from my hen...now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Branch Chickens, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    [​IMG]

Pearl has been acting oddly for the past two days. Tonight I helped her pass this, with the aid of some olive oil. The entire soft shell seems to be intact. What follow up care should I offer? Should I be concerned?

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    She should be ok from this instance, but this may be an indication she may be lacking calcium, I would make sure she is getting additional calcium available to her, like oyster shells, the pet stores sell them in smaller bags, so you can try them. They only eat them if they need them. I always provide mine with it, I buy the big bag. Sometimes they eat it and sometimes they don't. I have placed it by itself and have also mixed it with the food at times. Your choice!

1 person likes this.
  3. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Thank you. We do have oyster shell. The rest of the flock's eggs have good, strong shells, so I'm wondering if this is because she's a new layer.

4. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Usually new layers have more calcium to provide as they have not been depleted by extensive laying cycles, but it is possible for a hen at any age to lay a soft shell egg. Sometimes the eggs detach themselves two late in the day and with not enough hours of sun, then hen does not have enough time to cover it with a shell. I would keep an eye on the pullet and if she continues to lay eggs like that, I would be more concern. Glad you got that stuff out of her. I could cause her an infection, when it is stuck in there. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by