removing a chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy Rooster, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    have first chick hatched about 4 hours ago he is all over the bator playing soccer with the other eggs we have 3 more that look like they are gonna hatch is this called peeped when egg starts to break from inside out? question can we remove the baby chick without hurting the others in the bator or should we just leave them alone he wont hurt the others will he?

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Pip, its called [​IMG]

I dont think the chick would hurt them

But... what kind of incubator do you have?

I got told it you steam put the bathroom, so its humid in there, and if your really fast, you might be able to slip the chick out.

(it might be to late for the bathroom, thing unless your incubators in you bathroom [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do NOT remove the chick for at least another 14 to 18 hours.

That's why I always put eggs in cartons to hatch.... no soccer players with cartons. (but I've had chicks lay on top of zipping eggs)

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Don't open that bator. You will risk shrink wrapping the others. Next time use egg cartoons to hatch in.

5. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    So just so I am clear on the egg cartons for hatching, at lockdown (I have a brinsea oct) remove the rails and cut some egg cartons to fit and put all the eggs in there (large up I assume) for lockdown? Plastic or cardboard egg cartons? I wonder if the cardboard would break down during high humidity? I set my first batch on the 7th and want to make sure I am prepared.

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Opps Sorry I have a Genisis 1588 I easily use the styrofoam cartoons in there not really sure how to do it with the Brinsea. Wish I could have been of more help.

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

The Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco recovers humidity and temp in about 3 minutes to the most after you remove the top. You can quickly open, remove, and replace. The only reason this is OK in the Brinsea is the air chamber is so small that you can recover temps quickly. A styrobator takes some time to recover because of the volume of air that has to be humidified, and reheated. I WOULD not do the chick removal if you have any currently zipping. This is the most critical portion of the hatching process where the chick is really moving a lot inside of the egg. If you happen to change the humidity during that phase, you can risk a shrink wrapping.

I don't use cartons in the Brinsea, but I do use cartons in my 1602n

8. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    what causes shrink wrapping ? a decrease in humidity or an increase

9. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

it would be a decrease... it causes the membrane that is around the chick to dry out therefore sticking to the chick..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:decrease...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by