removing chick from Incubator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sega, Oct 23, 2010.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    When am I suppose to remove the chick from the incubator? One egg hatch on day 20 and looks to be doing very well. There are still two eggs waiting to hatch, hopefully on day 21.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You have 3 days before they need food an water.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What rebelcowboysnb said.

PLUS, if you open the incubator during hatching, it lowers the humidity and can shrink-wrap the chicks in the eggs. NOT fun to deal with, trust me!

I have taken chicks out 24 hours after they hatch and if they are dry and fluffed out, ONLY to give more room for others to hatch, when the 'bator was really full. If there was plenty of room, I left them in there until the 23rd day, if that was within the 3 days after hatching.

4. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Two eggs have hatched. Removed the first chick and it is doing fine in the brooder. One chick and one egg are still in the incubator. Chick is very healthy moving around all over the incubator. The remaining eggs is moving and has a slight hole in the shell. Inside the hole the inside membrane can still be seen and is not broken though. Did I mess up by removing the first chick. Oh, and by the way this is day 21 and a half. What should I do next? Remove the second chick? Leave it along? Leave the remaining egg along or help it out?

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No you didn't mess up. Leave it alone...it will hatch when it is ready. A lot has to happen for a chick to hatch including turning in the egg, etc.

6. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Third egg hatched!!! Thanks for all the advice...

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wahoo!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by