Removing chicks after hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sadi5678, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sadi5678

sadi5678 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi one of my chicks has been hatched for a while now but the others haven't hatched yet would it be okay to take that one out? Also, what is a good temperature for the brooder? Thanks so much, Ana

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Babies should be left in the incubator until dry or they can chill. It is not good to open the incubator if other eggs are pipping and zipping as they need as much humidity as possibly during this time.

However, all this being said, if one chick is still in the incubator after 24 hours and none others have hatched, I like to get that one out to get it into the brooder for food and water. But be quick about it.

Start your brooder temp at 95 degrees. Thermometer directly beneath the heat on the floor of the brooder. Keep the food and water off to one side, the heat on the other. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything other than screen or wire. You want good oxygen and heat exchange. Lay down paper towels and sprinkle food all around the brooder floor around the feeder so the chicks can find the feed.

Dip beaks in the water when you first put them in so know where the water is. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. sadi5678

Oct 21, 2013
    Okay thanks so much! And the chick is pretty much completely dry it's been hatched for probably around 6 hours.

4. sadi5678

Oct 21, 2013
    And the chick keeps pecking around the incubator like he's trying to get out.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

While its tempting to play with the fluffybutts, the chicks are built to not require food or water for up to three days.

I prefer to leave them in as long as possible - a min of 24 hrs

6. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I waited 24 hours with each chick I hatched and I'm glad I did. They were much stronger then. The incubator is the best place for them for that first day.

7. sadi5678

Oct 21, 2013
    Also, when he was in there he was running and jumping on all the other eggs is that going to be a problem?

8. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Nope. As farmerviola says, he's just knocking on doors getting all the chicks to
    Come out and play :)

Mine did the same thing and didn't seem to disturb anyone. That said once I had two in there and a chick that was shrink wrapped they started pecking the shrink wrapped chick badly so as soon as I got to 24 hours and dry fuzz I pulled them out.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its pretty hard to shrink wrap a third or 4th chick. it normally means someone has been peeking. When chicks hatch they are like big wet sponges and the humidity spikes. I find that the more I help, the more shrink wrapping i get.

10. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Yup, that's exactly what happened. The third and fourth were shrink wrapped because the 1st pulled the thermometer off the window and got the tape wrapped around its neck. It was a strangulation risk. Lesson learned though, there are sorts of things is do differently and leaving them well enough alone is the main one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by