Removing chicks from incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Oct 7, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    so far i have 14 chicks that have hatched and i still have a few eggs in there the first hatched last night at 1140 so when should i remove these chicks and put them in the brooder? even though there are still eggs in the incubator can i remove them so they can have food and water or should i let them be?

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    If they are partially dry at least, pull them and show them where the food and water is. Leave the other eggs in there since you may have some late bloomers.

<eta - the leaving eggs part>

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    They were due to hatch at 7 eve today so i think some more are going to hatch still but just wanted to make sure if i remove them the others wont shrink wrap thanks

4. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:I think it's tricky. I usually pull the chicks out as fast as I can and spray water on a towel in the bator to get the humidity up instantly. Usually that works. I have had to rescue some shrink wrapped chicks on occasion.

5. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thanks guys! thats what i will do!!!

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think it's tricky. I usually pull the chicks out as fast as I can and spray water on a towel in the bator to get the humidity up instantly. Usually that works. I have had to rescue some shrink wrapped chicks on occasion.

Very good idea!!!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I pull the chicks and their shells out as quickly as I can. I also put a small half pint mason jar with a sponge which acts like a wick in the incubator when I set the eggs for hatching. It helps to keep the humidity up. I also put a fan in my incubator.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    As long as they aren't doing anything to hurt themselves, leave them in there till they dry off. Mine jumped off the rack I had for the eggs and went into the bottom of the incubator where I had some sponges and alot of water.

If you have any that have pipped or especially if they are zipping, don't open the incubator. They can last for 3 days without you giving them anything, they still have their yoke leftovers in their bellies.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:x100! If any of the remaining eggs have pipped, you'd be safer to leave the bator shut for the time being.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by