Removing ducklings from mom - When & How to??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by evansacres, Jul 3, 2011.

1. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Just wondering how everyone handles this? The ducklings will be two weeks this coming Tuesday and I'm not really planning on removing them yet, but wondered how and when others do this? I noticed this morning that although mom is protective of them still, she isn't tolerating them as much. Some of them got into the pool this morning with mom and she kind of picked at them - going after their feet and she grabbed one of their little wings? I don't want them to get hurt so...not sure if it was just because they were zooming around the pool and "misbehaving" or what? This is my first time dealing with ducklings hatched by mom so not sure what to do???

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Momma ducks will nip to teach their babies. If, however, it looks more like an attack or blood is drawn, that is something different. If mom is just occasionally nipping, that is normal. If she is ATTACKING them, you might want to put them in a brooder.

3. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks Wifezilla [​IMG] Pretty sure it was a "stop zipping around 'cause I can't keep track of you all and that human person that brings us treats is standing there watching you, "NIP" [​IMG] She did grab one of the little ones wings but s/he made a little peep and she let go quickly, no further escalation to it. I will keep a close eye on them though to make sure nothing gets worse [​IMG] It's hot, hot, hot here today. Gonna have to go out and add some cold water to the duck pool [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by