Removing Eggs Whilst Hatching

silkielover1996

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
Help! This is my first time hatching eggs and even after researching heavily over the past three weeks - I was unaware that you shouldn't pick hens up to check on how their eggs are doing underneath. I have unfortunately done this maybe 4 or 5 times while the chicks were trying to hatch, and I have just seen that one of the chicks I saw this morning has died since. Last night, I also tried to candle three eggs from my other hen and I'm so worried I have completely ruined their chance of survival!

If anyone has any advice or success stories from this, I am all ears! Feeling really stressed and helpless right now.

Hi
Don’t panic. The chick could easily have had something wrong with it and died without your involvement. It’s not the end of the world that you looked at the hatching chicks but it is a recommendation you leave the hen alone from day 18to full hatch as in when she gets off the nest herself. The hatching chicks get in certain position for hatch and if you pick the hen up you risk moving them etc. It is also a good idea to not pick the chicks up for the first few days. Let mama settle in to motherhood and just keep a close eye on her to make sure she is going to do the job- not all broodys make good mums - I usually have my brooder set up just in case.
the ones you have candled will be fine - everyone does that.
make sure the chicks cant get out of the nest without mama and not be able to get back in, they will either freeze or could be hurt by other hens.
I spent a tedious day covering my broody cage with 1/4 inch wire so chicks can’t get through. 😬
Don’t let this spoil it for you. You are doing your best and we are all learning all the time. I’m sure the rest will be fine.

Hi
Don’t panic. The chick could easily have had something wrong with it and died without your involvement. It’s not the end of the world that you looked at the hatching chicks but it is a recommendation you leave the hen alone from day 18to full hatch as in when she gets off the nest herself. The hatching chicks get in certain position for hatch and if you pick the hen up you risk moving them etc. It is also a good idea to not pick the chicks up for the first few days. Let mama settle in to motherhood and just keep a close eye on her to make sure she is going to do the job- not all broodys make good mums - I usually have my brooder set up just in case.
the ones you have candled will be fine - everyone does that.
make sure the chicks cant get out of the nest without mama and not be able to get back in, they will either freeze or could be hurt by other hens.
I spent a tedious day covering my broody cage with 1/4 inch wire so chicks can’t get through. 😬
Don’t let this spoil it for you. You are doing your best and we are all learning all the time. I’m sure the rest will be fine.
Thank you so much for replying! Fingers crossed they're okay. With the ones that I candled, they are hatching today - so that's why I'm freaking out so much! Do you think that would have messed with the humidity levels way too much for them to survive?

I have also completely closed the coop up and have put a heat lamp in there just in case! Thanks for your advice :)

Thank you so much for replying! Fingers crossed they're okay. With the ones that I candled, they are hatching today - so that's why I'm freaking out so much! Do you think that would have messed with the humidity levels way too much for them to survive?

I have also completely closed the coop up and have put a heat lamp in there just in case! Thanks for your advice :)
Hi
I think humidity will be fine. Sounds like you are ready - I’m thinking the heat lamp isn’t on though? It won’t be needed if mama can keep them under her. Also to note chicks dont understand ramps for a few days so make sure they can get back under her if they come out. 😁

Also if you go on YouTube and put in broody hen hatch day you’ll get loads of videos of people looking under hen on hatch day- lifting them off to see what’s going on, picking up chicks etc all of which I consider a no no but all ok !

Also if you go on YouTube and put in broody hen hatch day you’ll get loads of videos of people looking under hen on hatch day- lifting them off to see what’s going on, picking up chicks etc all of which I consider a no no but all ok !
Just had a quick look and you're right, it has made me feel so much better! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed the rest of them arrive safely and if not, at least I'll be prepared for the next time I do it! Thanks so much again :)

No worries. Let me know how you get on.
ive got some due to hatch Monday under a first time broody so I’m also a bit nervous😬❤️

All chicks are safe and sound! Such a relief to see them so happy 🥰 good luck with yours - you’ll have to let me know how they go!

7AF12F5B-4B69-4ABC-B6A4-DEF2826A1C27.jpeg

I check under all my broody hens every day to make sure somebody else didn't lay an egg on top of her that I don't want in there. Never had a problem with it.

They are so gorgeous! Well done mamma hen. Silkies are such good mums so I’m sure all will be good from now on. Mine is a Silkie cross Orpington so hopefully she’ll be ok. I am obsessed with my chucks I’ll admit it, I think once you start you can’t help but be! I’ll post a pic when mine hatch. Enjoy! 🥚🐣🐥❤️

Back
Top Bottom