1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Removing heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snewsome2, Feb 26, 2016.

1. snewsome2

snewsome2 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    I have 14 chicks that are almost 4 weeks old. They are inside and I keep the house at 70 degrees. Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and turn the heat lamp off?

2. snewsome2

snewsome2 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They should be okay, expect some complaining initially.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'd give it a shot during the day when you can monitor them for signs of being too cold.

5. bbrierly

bbrierly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2016
    Judsonia, Arkansas
    Just have to say I love the little roost you made for them :) pretty nifty... :)

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Yep. I had a 4 week old escape from me and ended up spending a 20 degree night outside. I figured it would be a goner, more than 24 hours later I saw it running free and caught it with no ill effects on the bird.

Expect LOTS of noise and complaints when you turn it off.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO, if using a heat lamp, it's a good idea to start turning it off for short durations as early as the first week. Mama Broody does not keep her chickies under her belly 24/7. After the first day or so, she's got them out running around with her at what ever temp the current weather pattern chooses to dish up for the day. And, that my friends, is just one more reason why I am so enamored with the heating pad brooding system.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by