Removing Roooster Spurs - how did YOU do it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hoosier_RIRs, May 18, 2011.

1. Hoosier_RIRs

Hoosier_RIRs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Over the last few years I've had to de-spur a rooster or two, and I've been happy with the "Hot Potato" method. It seems to be easy, mostly painless for the rooster and rarely is there any bleeding that last longer than an hour or so. Essentially, I wait until the rooster has gone to roost for the night and is settled in comfortably then I pop a regular old potato in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes to get it to that hot almost "baked" state. I take the rooster off his roost and hold him upside down until he is sufficiently calm, and place the hot potato on the spur for a minute or so (the spur is actually embedded into the potato allowing it to soften up) then remove the potato and twist off the spur. This method leaves a small remainder of inner part of the spur that I can nip off with a clean pair of side cuts. I then repeat this process for the other leg.
    My question is this..... Is there an easier or more humane way to de-spur a rooster? I'm curious how many of you have accomplished this, and what your experience may have been.
    Thanks!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That's an interesting method. I actually haven't removed spurs from a rooster yet, but one time I read a post about someone filing the sharp tip off with a pedipaws. That may be more funny than effective, especially if you don't have a pedipaws or something like a dremmel with a file attachment.

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG]
    Ive seen videos on youtube on removing the spurs by simply taking pliers and twisting them off. Im not 100% on the exact method on how to do it but, google it !

4. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Thanks! I've "googled"...."Youtubed"... etc... and the Potato method seemed best so far.... but was hopeing for an "out of the ordinary" method that works flawlessly, painlessly, and won't freak out the rooster for the next day or so! [​IMG] I've been reading this forum for quite a while and know you guys always have a better way!! [​IMG]

5. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    here's a link to one of my top fave videos on how to remove the spurs .
    just looked up the potato method & that seems like the way to go ! ive never removed a roos spurs before but have been tempted to try it lol. let me know how it goes !

6. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Wow, that's a good video (and one I hadn't seen yet!) he seems to be a bit of a professional though.... just ripping off the hard shell of the spur, but did he remove the remaining quick? And what about that Roo..... I'll bet the next time he sees that guy heading his direction that he's goin' the other way!! [​IMG] It sure did look easy though... no steaming and softening up the spur... just a quick twist... kinda like pullin a loose tooth with the old string and doorknob approach! [​IMG]

7. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] did look awfully easy, huh ?! i think that with that certain method of removal, the quick stays intact, but there is minimal bleeding & according to my research there is no pain involved. The other vids ive seen of this method, most people use pliers & they pop right off. If it bleeds, ive heard to put kitchen sugar on it ?! not sure about that one either ! i know the spur eventually grows back, but it seems to be a pretty easy & painless method otherwise ! [​IMG]

8. Shyke

Shyke Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    The best way (I've learned from a professional) is to simply twist them off. This will take off the outer section of the spur. It will evantually grow back, so you'll have to do it more than once.

I know it sounds like it would be painful for the chicken, but actually this method is less painful than clipping the spurs, and also easier to do.
    Putting the hot potato on it is a very good idea to soften the spurs up, but isn't needed. [​IMG]

P.S. If you have your chicken in with other chickens, I would suggest putting him in a seperate cage until it stops bleeding. It won't bleed for long, but since chickens are very curious creatures it won't take them long to get interested in the blood and start pecking at it. Also, try to keep him out of heat so that flies will not be a problem.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Can't imagine why one would want to entirely remove the spurs on a roo.....[​IMG] Kept chickens for a long while and never really had to worry about spurs except to barely nip the tip when they get to hinder a roo's walking.

10. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Quote:That's a great idea![​IMG] I will keep that in mind the next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by