1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Removing rooster spurs with a hot potato...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sammysmom, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I remember seeing a post not too long ago about removing a rooster's spurs with a hot potato. I performed a search but couldn't find the thread.[​IMG] I need to do something about my rooster's spurs and was interested in getting more info on this method. Anybody out there familiar with this procedure?[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've heard that you can use those things that you twist two electrical wires together with...super glue them on.

3. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Is that just for protection or do they then eventually fall off? I need to remove mine as they are actually interferring with my rooster's gait.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The only other method I know of is to get ahold of your rooster and cover him with a towel to keep him calm. Have one person hold him down and have someone else use a hacksaw to saw the spurs off.

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Use a dremmel with a cut off wheel. It will cauderize it and it is very fast. Otherwise use a small hacksaw and it's best with an extra pair of hands.

Chef

6. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    [​IMG]

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you cut spurs you have to be careful to cut only the dead "nail" and not the live "quick" like human fingernails. If you hold the bird to the light you can see where the non-living tissue ends and the live blood vessel tissue starts.

I'm a gardener and have sharp bypass pruners to cut back shrubs and small branches. They are perfect for (carefully) cutting a large roo's big spurs. Toenail clippers work well on small bantam rooster spurs.

8. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    OH my goodness i thought you all were talking about cutting his whole toe off LOL fwew

9. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I have also seen the tool for trimming dogs and cats nails that trims nails off in layers. It's supposed to be quiet and quick and less stressful for the pets. It looks a bit like a compact grinder. Seems as though it would allow you to get close to the quick without cutting it.

10. WildfireJane

WildfireJane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I have done the hot potato way and would NEVER do that again! It burnt my poor roo's legs. The hot potato just softened the spur and we still had to twist it off and it bled real badly. I used quik stop on him and it took a long time before I could get the bleeding stopped. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by