Removing spurs with a potato? Update- It didn't work!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eenie114, Jan 27, 2011.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Hi,
    My rooster's spurs are in need of a trimming, and I've heard you can use a baked potato. This seems like it would be by far the easiest, and bloodless.
    Have any of you used this method, and did it work for you?
    Thanks!

Edited because I can't type. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Here is the process:

This is done by grabbing 2 medium sized potatoes and cooking them as if you were going to eat them yourself. Using gloves, insert the rooster's spur into the center of the potato and keep it in there for a couple of minutes while being careful not to touch the rooster's leg as burning will result.You can also wrap the birds leg with cloth first leaving only the spur sticking out. Remove the potato and gently twist the spur with a pliers. There will be a small amount of blood but do not be alarmed as this is natural. Then the tip of the new spur may be trimmed just a little to be blunted. A large human trimmer can be used for this or a dog trimmer if you are careful. After you are finished, apply an antiseptic and feed the cooled potatoes to the rooster as a treat.

You can cook the potato in the micro-nuke for a minute or two.It will work as well.

It has worked for me.

3. eenie114

Quote:Here is the process:

This is done by grabbing 2 medium sized potatoes and cooking them as if you were going to eat them yourself. Using gloves, insert the rooster's spur into the center of the potato and keep it in there for a couple of minutes while being careful not to touch the rooster's leg as burning will result.You can also wrap the birds leg with cloth first leaving only the spur sticking out. Remove the potato and gently twist the spur with a pliers. There will be a small amount of blood but do not be alarmed as this is natural. Then the tip of the new spur may be trimmed just a little to be blunted. A large human trimmer can be used for this or a dog trimmer if you are careful. After you are finished, apply an antiseptic and feed the cooled potatoes to the rooster as a treat.

You can cook the potato in the micro-nuke for a minute or two.It will work as well.

Awesome, thank you so much.
    So, do I use a whole potato for each spur, or a half of a potato?

4. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    it can be 1/2 a potato per spur.Two potatos for a roo is alot. [​IMG]

5. eenie114

Quote:That's what I was thinking. [​IMG] I don't wanna waste two whole potatoes.
    Thanks so much, off to bake a potato! [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sorry to but in but i was wondering if the spurs would grow back?

7. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Yes. This is only a temporary solution.

Permanent solution: cut feet off [​IMG]

just kidding! really just kidding

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You're sure making an awful lot of effort for nothing....

9. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:That is very cruel!!!

10. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I just grabbed the pliers and remove them gently. I am squeamish and can't stand the thought of blood or hurting an animal. I watched numerous videos of spur removal and found that it was very simple, a simple turn of the pliers and pull the spur casing right off. It was easy and really there was very little blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by